• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Easy In/easy Out?

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually gotten in and out of one?
My '97 Civic is like getting in and out of a go-kart.
I remember, years ago, on "Car Talk" (Klick&Klack), a survey said the then new VW bug was the easiest car for obese people to access because the door opened wider than average. (not that I'm obese)
The front was fine, the back was inconvenient - but it always is on coups.

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio likes to come to Los Angeles so I have been lucky enough to sit in it three times, once in P-3 and twice in P-4. It's like getting in any compact coupe, a big wide door and no issues. The back seat is comfortable but a bit claustrophobic. I plan on using the rear as a cargo area with the option of having a seat available. :cool:

Ol' Blue

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the Portland Or event I was with a group of 4 ranging from 6' 3" to 6' 7". 6' 3" sat in back, a little cramped but got in & out without issue. But he was 17. The rest of us sat in the front only & had no issue getting in or out.
Here is a shot of the young one in the back seat, the open door, very spacious, & myself sitting in the front.

Attachments

• 2014-07-13 15.32.24.jpg
    980.5 KB · Views: 293
  • 2014-07-13 15.33.32.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 273
  • 2014-07-13 15.37.30.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 262

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
with the age range of one of its largest market segments being retirement age or close to it, easy in/out is important .... a few years back we had a Corvette that my wife dearly loved .... I didn't .... I had to sit down and then get into it and getting out was awkward and required more effort than I wanted to make .... after we sold that Vette, I haven't had any interest in another

Jim

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone actually gotten in and out of one?
My '97 Civic is like getting in and out of a go-kart.
I remember, years ago, on "Car Talk" (Klick&Klack), a survey said the then new VW bug was the easiest car for obese people to access because the door opened wider than average. (not that I'm obese)
I got in and out of the P4 in Portland. I am only 5' 2" but am disabled so was concerned about getting out. With tilt steering wheel (I believe it will be standard) I should have no trouble as I had very little trouble without it. The production model will also not be as low as the P4 which is fine with me as this will be my only vehicle. :-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I grow a little older......I may have to do some custom high/low rider work on my Elio for easy in & outs.
image.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... ease of entry and exit have always been important to me and the older I get, I expect that it will become even more important .... my hope is the final version of the Elio will offer a comfortable entry/exit .... in a retirement community I believe that side by side seating with separate doors would prove to be more attractive than inline seating ...Jim

I found the P4 easier to get in and out of than my 2014 PriusC. But just about the same may older 2007 Prius.
The production Elio is said to be 1in taller, at least in back. That my help the passenger a little.

The passenger entry is not high on the list of purposes for the Elio. Efficient, inexpensive, commuting for a single occupant is top on the list.

Maybe in a future Elio they'll put in a passenger door on the opposite side, or a half door on the same side as the driver. But it's not in scope right now.

But there is no reason an extra grab-handle can't be installed aftermarket to help those who are less agile. When I get mine I'll investigate putting a grab-bar on the back of the driver seat.

Still a lot of us older folk are excited about the design and those going to the viewings have had a minimum of complaints. As for me I expect to take my grandchildren on 'dropping jaw' cruises around town, just for fun, while the Elio is still new and relatively unknown. Recording and posting those on you-tube might be humorous. The kids would LOVE to do the recordings.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see that as a future possibility I am sure it will cost more.

Saturn Ion
Saturn_ION_silver_4-door_coupe_doors.jpg
had a friend who used a wheelchair and the small rear door that opened as it does, made it soooo much easier for him to put into the car while seated up front. Today I think only the Mazda sports car (not the Miata) also has the reverse door

Top Bottom