• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ecc?

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems there is an electric version of the California Commuter. eCCCar. It makes me appreciate the Elio even more.
[Broken External Image]
Perhaps it would be better to make an electric version of the Elio?
[Broken External Image]
It seems awfully low to the ground. Perhaps other drivers won't see it and tend to run over it?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems there is an electric version of the California Commuter. eCCCar. It makes me appreciate the Elio even more. Perhaps it would be better to make an electric version of the Elio? It seems awfully low to the ground. Perhaps other drivers won't see it and tend to run over it?
I think they did made it a rear-wheel drive EV. Of course FWD could have been possible and would allow a much better center of gravity. I do believe you'll see d-i-y EV conversions of the Elio with-in the first year of production. But it's not an expense that's easily justified on a cost basis alone.
But just think about this, when the Elio comes out, and it sells in excess of 50k units/yr, it will have more positive environmental impact than any single line of EV's. And certainly will have a bigger positive economic impact for humanity than any EV product to date. A few years of that or a higher production rate, will far exceed ALL ev's in total benefits.
But if an EV is what you want, then an Elio is maybe the best cost effective platform for EV commuting I can think of. And too, EV motorcycles are advancing at a phenomenal rate. Those drive systems, as dual or single drives, are just about right to supply Elio conversions. There ARE plenty of other OTS systems too. I'm just saying!
The system I think will win out in 10 to 20 years is an EV flow battery of some kind. The tank can be swapped, or, the electrolite can be recycled, or, just charged in place. They promise to be low cost and the materials plentiful, provided they come into widespread use. It's all good by me.

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm envisioning the future involving sprung electric motors in the wheels, battery assisted acceleration, and a gas/diesel/fuel cell generator for constant speed travel.

I don't see pure EVs taking off.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, true, pure EV have a problem so far. I'm still hopeful for the flow battery. A series hybrid has the problem that the re-generation is about 7% overall efficency. But variances in the driving cycle can accomidate what you said. i.e go 100% EV only for short distances, use the GenSet to extend the range, but for long haul it gets harder.
Either you have to exchange the Genset for a Parrallel hybrid and use the engine at near it's peak output, or in the case of a series, recharge the flow-fluid periodically or just put up with the 7% recharge rate( total eff, burn, charge and discharge).
In theory recharging the flow battery at a suitible station is about the same kind of process and time required as gas.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm envisioning the future involving sprung electric motors in the wheels, battery assisted acceleration, and a gas/diesel/fuel cell generator for constant speed travel.

This one did. :)
140606185514-efan-front-horizontal-gallery.jpg

With current technology, I think pure electric vehicles would be great for local travel. I think fuel cell battery vehicle hybrids might be better and ones that are fuel cell battery generator (gas or diesel) might be great till technology catches up. :)

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This one did. :)
140606185514-efan-front-horizontal-gallery.jpg

With current technology, I think pure electric vehicles would be great for local travel. I think fuel cell battery vehicle hybrids might be better and ones that are fuel cell battery generator (gas or diesel) might be great till technology catches up. :)

It looks like a very nice radio control airplane.:)

Top Bottom