• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Edison2

Mircea

Reaction score
Has many of the desirable characteristics of the Elio: light, high MPG, even the look is similar. It's true it is bigger, has 4 wheels, and would cost more, but they also won the X prize a few years ago. I am worried that all the companies developing similar concept cars (here I could add Aptera and others) cannot seem to help each other and collaborate to get at least one of these cars to production...

VLC4 Home Page V4 low.jpg
www.edison2.com

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent a letter to Edison2 just before they started winning the competition, on how much I liked their engineering. Very fortuitous of me yes?
I even gave them a strong argument on the thought about a one or in-line two passenger vehicle as a low cost/high efficiency commuter product. The gentleman thought that had merit to it. That's about as far as cooperation goes between competing players. (not that I'm competitive about it)

These three things are very hard to get push into the same direction, the Vision/Concept, the Team/Plan, the Funding. Different players all compete for those things, and differ strongly in the content and game plan to manage them.

As soon as, but also 'only after' someone (Elio) succeeds, then it begins to look obvious to everyone that a new product line was a 'no brainer.'

Now add this one more item, 'for the public good' versus 'for great profit'. Great personal benefit has been the grease that puts together the 'three things' in the commercial world. Intentionally putting together 'for public good' -even- with 'for great profit' is a rarity.

I grant that 'some good for the consumer' is a requirement to even hope for a profit, but typically the 'good' is kept to the minimal effort for low risk success. So 'profit' was usually before 'good' even at the conceptual level. They even try to reserve some 'good' for later expansion.

I think Elio Motors has placed 'good' ahead of profit at least at the conceptual stage. And some of Paul's determination that keeps investors regulated is fixated on keeping 'good' within their product concept firmly in place. This works well since the plan is to get the initial sales volume high enough to reach viable benefit for both consumer and investor.

This all should be seen as existing at the level of mystical heroism. Win or loose, this effort should be a movie one day.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped:This all should be seen as existing at the level of mystical heroism. Win or loose, this effort should be a movie one day.

Were's Ed Begley Jr. when we need him?
http://www.hybridcars.com/the-elio-high-hopes-for-this-unusual-underdog/
I stepped away from the booth and ended up running into Actor and Director Ed Begley, Jr. I discovered that even he has an Elio reservation. He’s excited about the Elio because “it simply has the best gas mileage out there.”

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has many of the desirable characteristics of the Elio: light, high MPG, even the look is similar. It's true it is bigger, has 4 wheels, and would cost more, but they also won the X prize a few years ago. I am worried that all the companies developing similar concept cars (here I could add Aptera and others) cannot seem to help each other and collaborate to get at least one of these cars to production...

View attachment 2618 www.edison2.com
WELCOME, Mircea!

Darrell

Elio Fan
Reaction score
WELCOME, Mircea!
The Edison 2 version 4.0 is a very nice 4 seat car, but a very different concept than the Elio. Very thing is custom made to reduce weight including a very innovative suspension. Edison was also trying to get someone else to manufacture the car. Unfortunately, since the first of the year there has been no more info on its website. It seems like the surge in interest the the much more affordable Elio has taken away from Edison. That is unfortunate, as I see it as a compliment to Elio, more suited to conventional car needs rather than a commuter car.

Top Bottom