• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio May Be Closer Than You Think. Or Not.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That ski-jump flight deck is a cheap, low-tech approach to launching aircraft, but it has a serious problem: You can't launch an aircraft with either a full fuel or weapons load . . . Only a catapult can accomplish that. It sorta leaves you with some limited options.

Yup!

And it's conventionally powered, and it holds half the air craft with half the payload capacity (it's likely closer to 1/4), and inexperienced crew.
At BEST, it's 25% of an American carrier.
Then there's experience with long range deployments, extended tours, supply lines, underway repairs and refitting.

That thing is merely a engineering and operations training tool and would be a reef within 30 minutes of a real engagement.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That ski-jump flight deck is a cheap, low-tech approach to launching aircraft, but it has a serious problem: You can't launch an aircraft with either a full fuel or weapons load . . . Only a catapult can accomplish that. It sorta leaves you with some limited options.
You might want to take a look at the newest British Aircraft Carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth

Gee, what's that over the bow?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
They probably use "JATO" for the heavy loaded vehicles with the "up" ramps.
Since the Royal naval air force is Harrier, they just turn the nozzles at a slight down angle and can do a fully loaded take-off. They use it now on other carriers, the US does the same for Marine jump jets on some our modified small carriers / assault ships

Triangles

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, the future I'm most interested in is one where cars are still very viable after 30years of use. So then maybe people can resell them at the 15th year on the average. That effectively makes them 1/3th the purchase cost given that autos now are kept an average of 5years and resale value is low. That short time and low value is due mostly to maintenance/reliability fears. Unless this 30year car market price is 2x as much as ICE, in which case down to 66% the effective cost of amortization. To reduce one's up front payments, a loan for maybe 10years would be required.

What a waste getting rid of your car that soon! All my cars go to the junk yard when I am done with them or maybe I should say when they die. I've had my current car since 2003 It was built in '99 almost 17 years ago. If this doesn't die soon it may be the first car I've owned that doesn't go to a junk yard. I bought an EV in 2014. I plan to keep this for at least 20 years or when the corrosive crap they put on the roads here in winter dissolves it. My old car goes when I get the Elio.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What a waste getting rid of your car that soon! All my cars go to the junk yard when I am done with them or maybe I should say when they die. I've had my current car since 2003 It was built in '99 almost 17 years ago. If this doesn't die soon it may be the first car I've owned that doesn't go to a junk yard. I bought an EV in 2014. I plan to keep this for at least 20 years or when the corrosive crap they put on the roads here in winter dissolves it. My old car goes when I get the Elio.

Yeah, I'm currently commuting in a 20-year old Toyota Rav4, that only has 185k on it. When I get my Elio, I'll be selling it to my Father-in-law cause he really likes the little "puddle jumper". With a little care and regular maintainance, it will easily reach the 30-year mark.

My wife and I are still not sure what we'll be doing with our Leaf though. We may trade up to a longer-range EV in 4 or 5 years (pick up a used Chevy Bolt or 2018 Leaf), but if we can just upgrade the battery pack than we'd rather do that.

Top Bottom