• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The comment was not that 'all' 2 seater cars are unacceptable, but rather not widely accepted by the average driver. Those 2 seaters that have style, handling, and performance, are certainly accepted by a demographic that justifies production and provides some profit for the makers.

The Elio Concept is a totally new class (autocycle) of 2 seater commuter that should have wide appeal and acceptance to a wide range of demographics, along with the affordability factor.

exactly .... Elio will not replace motorcycles but it offers features (enclosed cab, AC, heat) that will be welcomed by a significant portion of the motorcycle market .... I believe it will also receive significant interest among folks who need a single or at most double occupant computer vehicle

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will there be an Electric Elio?

There is already another 3-wheeled EV that is going to be made.
the-indy-one.com

I wish you well on this one. I checked out what I could, but a couple points come to mind. As everyone noted, the Indy-one is a kit. Even with out an EV drive, it will cost more than a new Elio all said and done.

So it will not be in the same market as the Elio. I mean it costs more than an Elio, and you still need to assemble it yourself. And you get used parts. It's nice to recycle, but used ARE used parts. I know the estimate is $15K, but that's a little blind to all the hidden costs.

I built my own prototype in 1984. If you look at the known parts/used, it only came up to maybe $2k. I kept track for a while and with all the little bits and pieces I quit counting at $5K. That didn't even account for my gas and trouble.

Anyway, as another want-a-be kit-designer, I have to say, people in this forum for the most part will like the Indy-One vehicle for it's design, but you'll not likely sell it to us since were already solidly dedicated to the Elio for the attributes it provides. You might get better traction out of three-wheel enthusiast or DIY interested people, or better, in EV groups.

EV groups will be much more open to your EV than any of the other groups, including us. Get into the EVDL.

For real, it's pretty transparent you are trolling to get people to invest, and that's a bit of a drag for people already dedicated to the Elio.

Link => the EV discussion thread

Last edited:

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for that comment; I was completely confused about all the two seat cars being unacceptable in the US market. It simply isn't true.

There are several other examples beyond the miata. Certainly there are all the European sports cars from Fiat, Triumph, Jaguar, etc.

You are still confused. :confused: "Triumph, Jaguar" etc, are not "European", they have always been and are still manufactured in the UK. :rolleyes:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are still confused. :confused: "Triumph, Jaguar" etc, are not "European", they have always been and are still manufactured in the UK. :rolleyes:

No offense, but us break away colonists look at anything from the other side of the "pond" as European in spite of what subjects of the Crown may think.
Take a look at my avatar. I had one in the early '60s and understand that it's British.
(Yes, a real Longbridge Healey!)
Wish my father hadn't forced me to sell it.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No offense, but us break away colonists look at anything from the other side of the "pond" as European in spite of what subjects of the Crown may think.
Take a look at my avatar. I had one in the early '60s and understand that it's British.
(Yes, a real Longbridge Healey!)
Wish my father hadn't forced me to sell it.

We ceased to be subjects of the British Crown Jan 1 1947. But we clearly understand the phrase, "It is not broken, it is only British." I too have owned my share of Morris, Norton, BSA, Matchless, Triumph, Sprite, MGA, and MGB cripples. Knee action shocks, Amal excuses for carburetors and Lucas insanity. The only good Healey or MG is one with a SB GM in it. Except they twist so badly that the inside wheel in a corner is always off the ground. :D

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
can't speak for anyone else but I know why I have no interest in a Smart Car .... I look at it as a car and as a car it, it has no redeeming features that interest me .... I look at an Elio as a motorcycle (OK, as an auto cycle) with numerous features (including looks) that do interest me .... for me, gas mileage is important but it isn't the only important thing
As the owner to two smarts (me and my wife), we smart owners discussed this last month in St. Louis @ our 2015 Midwest smart Ralley.
Why have smart sales died:
  1. A majority of people think their are electric. "Is that electric," is one of the most common questions I am asked at the gas pump.
  2. Death trap - A majority of people assume they are a death-trap. They don't believe the high crash-test ratings.
  3. Designed as an Urban Car, easy parking car, not a highly fuel efficient car.
  4. Many of want the diesel smart which averages 60-70 mpg, but the market share would be so small Mercedes never sought to meet U.S. regulations. Mercedes dropped sales of the diesel smarts in Canada after selling the CDI for about 4 years.
  5. My wife and I bought ours used, as ultra low-cost convertibles, with above average mpg. Averaging 40 mpg, I figure we save about $250 per month on gas, over our previous vehicles. (Jeep Patriot and Chevy HHR)
  6. Our biggest assumption - smart sales started in the U.S. when gas prices were record high, but dropped more quickly than experts had imagined.
  7. Gas prices plummeted by early 2009 and SUV and pickup sales rose.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As the owner to two smarts (me and my wife), we smart owners discussed this last month in St. Louis @ our 2015 Midwest smart Ralley.
  1. A majority of people think their are electric. "Is that electric," is one of the most common questions I am asked at the gas pump.
  2. Death trap - A majority of people assume they are a death-trap. They don't believe the high crash-test ratings.
  4. Many of want the diesel smart which averages 60-70 mpg, but the market share would be so small Mercedes never sought to meet U.S. regulations. Mercedes dropped sales of the diesel smarts in Canada after selling the CDI for about 4 years.
  5. My wife and I bought ours used, as ultra low-cost convertibles, with above average mpg. Averaging 40 mpg, I figure we save about $250 per month on gas, over our previous vehicles. (Jeep Patriot and Chevy HHR)
  6. Our biggest assumption - smart sales started in the U.S. when gas prices were record high, but dropped more quickly than experts had imagined.

1. I've never associated it as being electric but in thinking about it, I can see how folks could do so
2. good to hear they do well on the crash test
3. I've heard they get pretty good but not great mileage
4. the engine in our Sportchassis is a Mercedes diesel .... the following year they dropped Mercedes because they couldn't meet the pollution standards .... I understand they are once again available
5. I didn't know they made a convertible .... that could be a fun vehicle
6 & 7. if the Smart car doesn't get great mileage, I would think that cheaper gas would be a plus

info appreciated .... with it being a vehicle in which I simply have no interest, I know very little about them .... I'm not surprised to hear there are clubs where folks who do have an interest can meet and share that interest .... hopefully one day there will be Elio clubs all across the country ....

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was always impressed by the Smart's safety rating and it's overall function as an urban commuter, but don't care much for the styling which is critical to what I drive as well as handling and comfort. I think the Smart scores ok in the comfort category. I wonder if Smart sales never really kicked off and then declined because of no advertising and or marketing campaign? I have never seen a TV commercial or print advertising for the Smart. Perhaps targeted to urban dwellers. I have a neighbor that owns two Smart for 2's and likes them as do most owners.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
THE HMV FREEWAY WAS AVAILABLE AS AN ELECTRIC .
THE E-VERSION WAS TERRIBLE WITH ONLY A DOZEN OR SO ORDERED .

ONE WENT TO MIT WHO WAS STUDYING ELECTRIC CARS AT THE TIME .
AT LEAST ONE WENT BACK TO THE FACTORY TO BE CONVERTED TO GAS POWER .
DSC_0048.JPG

Top Bottom