• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Vehicle Thoughts, Questions & Answers

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Sondors will get to production first, just start searching the insurance auctions because someone is going to total one. Then buy it and pull off the rear wheel.

They are looking into non-hub motor FWD now instead of the original hub motor RWD. According to an update over Thanksgiving they are still testing configurations in Italy with the prototype, but we do not know much more than that. They already updated their homepage with: "Front Wheel Drive (with plans for AWD upgrade)"

This is a link to the update from their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/sondorselectriccar/photos/a.1415861615379231/1643085702656820/?type=3&theater

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are looking into non-hub motor FWD now instead of the original hub motor RWD. According to an update over Thanksgiving they are still testing configurations in Italy with the prototype, but we do not know much more than that. They already updated their homepage with: "Front Wheel Drive (with plans for AWD upgrade)"

This is a link to the update from their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/sondorselectriccar/photos/a.1415861615379231/1643085702656820/?type=3&theater
Thanks for the link. I see Sondors is planning test drives in June? That would be cool. Wish Elio did that.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From a traction viewpoint (in snow), I will only consider front wheel driven and steered vehicles. All wheel would be better. A three wheel vehicle driven by just the back wheel would be much harder to control.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From December 2017. Great article, but dated.

Indeed, since then Sondors has switched to front wheel drive. At least that is the stated claim but they are still supposedly testing different drivetrain options in Italy where the prototype was made. They said they are looking at FWD now and a possible AWD version down the road.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Storm Sondors released a number of short video clips on the "Sondors Electric Car Company" official Facebook page last night. No idea of a timestamp or how old they are. But I'm guessing they're from Italy where they've reportedly been testing various drivetrain configurations.

I've watched them over and over again, attempting to dissect whether in its recorded form, it is RWD, FWD or AWD, but couldn't make a confident determination. I've ruled out strictly FWD, as one video reveals the sound of a drive wheel slipping and a puff of sand/dirt being kicked up by the single rear wheel. So it's either still configured as the original RWD setup, or they've got it setup in AWD fashion.

The gentlemen in the videos appear to be both engineering types and investor types, with Storm appearing to be the one recording from his own device. I recognize his voice commentary and obnoxious hair shadow in one of the outside videos.

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Storm Sondors released a number of short video clips on the "Sondors Electric Car Company" official Facebook page last night. No idea of a timestamp or how old they are. But I'm guessing they're from Italy where they've reportedly been testing various drivetrain configurations.

I've watched them over and over again, attempting to dissect whether in its recorded form, it is RWD, FWD or AWD, but couldn't make a confident determination. I've ruled out strictly FWD, as one video reveals the sound of a drive wheel slipping and a puff of sand/dirt being kicked up by the single rear wheel. So it's either still configured as the original RWD setup, or they've got it setup in AWD fashion.

The gentlemen in the videos appear to be both engineering types and investor types, with Storm appearing to be the one recording from his own device. I recognize his voice commentary and obnoxious hair shadow in one of the outside videos.

They said it was this week in the first video post: "Want a quick peak under the hood? Storm wanted to share a few videos from his trip to Italy this week. Our design team is hard at work! (Video #1)"

I heard and saw the wheel slip too and asked about it on their FB page, I am betting it is still RWD and they have not switched to FWD yet. That is just speculation, though.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the videos shows the rear hub motor. So, I'd assume it's still working. To make it FWD, they will either have to add two front hub motors or a single motor with a diff. I think the RWD version is the best when it comes to packaging as they can get the biggest battery possible in it. I also see a cooling system so as opposed to the first time I seen it, it has way more cooling in it which would make sense because they need an HVAC system and cooling for the battery (the initial release had no HVAC system at all).

If you are wondering about it being RWD, then go test drive a Slingshot or a Solo. That way you can get the real world feel of a RWD three wheeler. For a front, then a Vanderhall. All three are available right not for test drives and will get you ready for the Elio on how it will feel.

Top Bottom