• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio And Amateur Radio

Sportsman Matt

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Ok, so here's another thing maybe they'll consider.
I have a hobby of Amateur Radio. And like most Amateur Radio operators, I often like to operate from my vehicles. The latest Amateur Radio transceivers are very much smaller than those 10, 20, even 40 years ago, but have 3 things in common.
They need a 12V DC power source, a mounting location, and a good ground/ground plane for the Antenna to transmit and receive properly.

So any thoughts?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a hobby of Amateur Radio. And like most Amateur Radio operators, I often like to operate from my vehicles. The latest Amateur Radio transceivers are very much smaller than those 10, 20, even 40 years ago, but have 3 things in common.
They need a 12V DC power source, a mounting location, and a good ground/ground plane for the Antenna to transmit and receive properly.

So any thoughts?
KD7SBS. I don't see how the Elio would be any more difficult than others. I used a magnetic antenna mast on my old truck and made it so my old radio would just plug into the power outlet. The Elio will have a steel roof, power outlets, and... well, not as much room for mounting a radio. But, it should be doable.

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio said awhile ago (~2 years ago?) that they will not design out interference from/to Amateur Radio as required from all cars - that's another advantage of being an auto-car and not a car. He mentioned it specifically in an address, but don't ask me when... We'll have to take our own measures.

KS6C

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio said awhile ago (~2 years ago?) that they will not design out interference from/to Amateur Radio as required from all cars - that's another advantage of being an auto-car and not a car. He mentioned it specifically in an address, but don't ask me when... We'll have to take our own measures.

KS6C
I remember that. I didn't put too much concern there though. All of the components going into the Elio are from established manufacturers who already know how to deal with signal interference. I don't see why they would suddenly "forget" how to build components when it comes to the Elio.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

So any thoughts?

I see no barriers. (unless you're trying HF)

Sportsman Matt

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Guess the biggest thing is having a steel roof, although right now I ride a Victory Vision and it has ABS and Aluminum body panels, not steel so mag mounts wouldn't work on the bike. As long as they go steel on the roof we'll be ok for mag mounts. I don't like to drill the body to mount an antenna, I did that in the past and fid run into issues with corrosion and water seepage from old mounts, and once it starts it never stops.

As for the radio, there are some new ones for 2m that are not much larger than the old electronic brake controller in my truck, and I still have a FT-857D with remote mounting kit, so shouldn't be an issue putting the radio in the Elio, but would be nice to plan ahead.

On a side note, my callsign is NA1Q, and I'm looking into alternatives to the bike due to upcoming health issues, some caused by a bike accident last year.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I let my license lapse quite a few years ago (ex-WB0OIW) but I've been getting the urge to dig out the manuals and see if I can get my old callsign back again.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I let my license lapse quite a few years ago (ex-WB0OIW) but I've been getting the urge to dig out the manuals and see if I can get my old callsign back again.
Same here. :( I know you can go to the FCC site and see the procedure to reinstate your license. I haven't done that yet. I think mine is too far gone to be able to do that.

Top Bottom