• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Bucket List

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do NOT drive your Elio to Alaska! Normal tires are not meant for Alaskan gravel roads. The gravel is sharp edged, not weathered smooth like ours, and it cuts tires. I had 4.5 flat tires (one was a failed patch) in my two months there. Trust me, a pump-up air can will not do the job up there!

while I'd love to be able to do so, there ain't no way we would so much as seriously consider driving an Elio to Alaska and back .... that said, my bet is it won't be long after they go into full production that someone will give it a go ..:)..

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do NOT drive your Elio to Alaska! Normal tires are not meant for Alaskan gravel roads. The gravel is sharp edged, not weathered smooth like ours, and it cuts tires. I had 4.5 flat tires (one was a failed patch) in my two months there. Trust me, a pump-up air can will not do the job up there!
Listen to the man, you should what Alaska does to a motorcycle. If you do it wrap every inch of that ELIO in heavy paint protector

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Calling Alaska routes, roads is a liberal use of the word.. I am not tell you not to go. Just warning you that nice new vehicle you take there will not be when you get back.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I WANT TO DRIVE MY ELIO TO WORK EVERY DAY .
MAYBE TAKE IT ON A FEW LONG TRIPS & LEARN TO PACK LIGHT .

HERE IS MY FREEWAY PACKED TO THE GILLS WHEN I TOOK IT ON A 400 MILE TRIP .
I AVERAGED 75mpg . NOT BAD FOR SOMETHING WITH A BRIGGS ENGINE IN IT .

THE ELIO WILL BE WORLDS BETTER & I DON'T THINK 84mpg IS UNREALISTIC AT ALL .

DSC_0273.JPG

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just curious. Does anyone have experience drifting a front wheel drive car? I've done a few handbrake turns in my younger days in FWD cars but not exactly drifting. It would seem the handbrake would be the only way to control traction of the rear wheel in a turn.

Its possible but I wouldn't call it drifting more like sliding. You can put a plastic fast food tray on the back tire

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always wanted to visit Alaska. Are you guys talking about the roads getting to Alaska, or Alaska roads their self or both?
Roads to Alaska are a lot better than they used to be. If you go in via the Alcan, the permafrost for the last 100 miles is pretty shifty. Your car will unexpectedly heave and toss. If you go in via the Top of the World Highway, it's mostly gravel. Use 6 ply tires and 1 spare, or 4 ply tires and 2 spares! If you try to stay only on paved roads,you'll miss most of the good stuff.

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I love this idea, for winter travel or fun... what a great idea... future Elio sales in Alaska??
arctic elio2.jpg
snowcrawler1.jpg

but I would maybe use this type of track wheels... maybe a little smaller so you can see over them...

I do believe that someone, somewhere is going to have an Elio with snow track wheels... it's coming....

That is one of the things that makes Elio a great buy...

You could have one Elio for your daily drive to work and have another for winter fun and still be under the cost of a "New Car".

This is the Start of the Elio Nation... Let's have fun with it... let the idea's flow....

Can I get a Elio with a built in " Drone " ?

Proud to Be... a member of the Elio Nation #2225Z see ya on the road...

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My husband likes drifting. He wants to compete professionally. I wonder how the rear of the Elio will look as it drifts around a corner. Will it stay steady or fish tail since there's only one wheel? Same goes for Autocross. I wonder if the rear will kick loose on tight turns or if it will remain steady. Anyone else wonder about the Elio rolling over with really aggressive driving?
Well, the front wheel design is specifically resistant to drifting. However there is at least one technical solution to that. An over powered electric drive for the rear would allow a drifting rear-end on push-button command. That's one way to do it.
And yes, that's just about as crazy a thing to do as drifting itself! But to each their own!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the front wheel design is specifically resistant to drifting. However there is at least one technical solution to that. An over powered electric drive for the rear would allow a drifting rear-end on push-button command. That's one way to do it.
And yes, that's just about as crazy a thing to do as drifting itself! But to each their own!
Oh one more solution, there was a small trike that implemented drifting by using plastic-non-rubber wheels. You could do that on an elio this way;

Find a plastic barrel just under the diameter of the rear tire, cut a 6in wide ring out of it. Deflate the tire, put it inside the ring and re-inflate. Wha-la! drifting at 5mph! Just stay the heck off the city streets! You can adjust the drift-speed-threshold by adjusting the ring width used. , say 3-4in wide?

Top Bottom