• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio E1c And The 2017 Mercedes-benz S-class S500 Cabriolet

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Question: what do the Elio E1C and the 2017 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 Cabriolet have in common? Answer: the shape of the steering wheel!
Here is the proof. First go to https://www.eliomotors.com/gallery/ . Next watch the video Introducing Elio Motors E1c and stop the video at 1:21. Notice that the steering wheel has a squared lower section. Next, go to https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehi...t=gallery-stack&gallery=UNIQUE-GALLERY-ID|0|0 . Look at the picture of the interior taken from the view point of a driver just about to enter the car. Note Mercedes-Benz's use of a steering wheel with a squared lower section. So remember that fact because, if you are ever at a stop light and are adjacent to a Cabriolet, just roll down the window and yell "We have the same steering wheel!" Maybe he will share some of his Gray Poupon with you.
( for Gray Poupon reference see

Last edited:

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually from a viper.. Wai,t isn't Chrysler and MB the same now?
I get so confused.
I saw a Viper OEM steering wheel on Amazon and it was the upscale version of the Elio steering wheel because the Viper steering wheel had 12 function buttons on the horizontal support arms while the Elio only had two horn buttons. Plus the viper wheel had stylized support arms going to the lower part of the wheel.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the 2017 Viper Steering Wheel

upload_2016-12-1_10-33-1.png

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I looked at the Motor1 photos from the LA Auto Show, just about all the cars that showed the steering wheel, had a flat bottom wheel. I think EM should "steer" away from saying "the seat is a mustang and the steering wheel is a Viper". As brand identity conscious as the "big three" are. EM would not want to be caught up in legal battle or have to pay royalty fees to someone for steeling some ones design.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
When I looked at the Motor1 photos from the LA Auto Show, just about all the cars that showed the steering wheel, had a flat bottom wheel. I think EM should "steer" away from saying "the seat is a mustang and the steering wheel is a Viper". As brand identity conscious as the "big three" are. EM would not want to be caught up in legal battle or have to pay royalty fees to someone for steeling some ones design.
See those 2 thin bars on the bottom of the wheel?
The Elio doesn't have those, Vipers and Durango's and probably a few others do.
And as long as it says "Elio" in the middle, they're good.
But I do agree, EM should be saying it a "Viper style" of wheel rather than "it's a Viper Wheel".

Next thing you'll know, people will ask why can't the "Elio" light up like it does in the Hellcat?

upload_2016-12-1_13-33-20.png

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_patent

my guess is the flat bottom wheel
design has passed the 20 year
mark....

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you remember the days when you could go into any auto parts store and buy little stickers with crossed checkered flags? Well, GM said that that violated their copy right and no one could sell them with out their approval, and fee. Those guys have lawyers that make sure every thing they use is protected, and to enforce said protection.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh Oh; legal stuff; you'll probably get a call at home from EM saying to take it down.
That's what someone else told me when a thread on other legal stuff was posted.
Or if the blacked out Suburban's pull up, out in front of your house, you skipped right to the head of the line and you're in trouble.

Top Bottom