• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Events 2016

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I guess I had a senior moment as I forgot to mention what may be the most important news I heard from the ELIO reps last month. Although not firm yet it is their intention to start test drives of the P5 or the E1A at touring events beginning in August or September. Now before everyone gets to excited there's a catch. Test drives will only be offered to those who have $1,000 ALL-IN reservations.
View attachment 10710
Do you happen to remember the Reps name that told you that?
I think there are $1K All In people that would fly to wherever the tour stop is just for the test drive, and then Fly home.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is fantastic news! Cannot wait to hear the reviews and see the videos of test drives. Looking forward to hearing impressions of the IAV motor in action.

GiantDriver

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Do you happen to remember the Reps name that told you that?
I think there are $1K All In people that would fly to wherever the tour stop is just for the test drive, and then Fly home.
Coss, there were about 6 ELIO reps there, after 1 of them told me about future test drives I came back a few minutes later and asked a different ELIO rep more detailed questions about the test drives. I would be willing to travel for a test drive as well. ***BTW*** I forgot to mention that the AT is made by AISIN, its in the European version of the Toyota Yaris. It is a tried and proven design. For those of you not familiar AISIN they also make the optional HD AT for the RAM 3500 6.7 Cummins. They felt that the test drive program was going to happen but once it starts in August or September they weren't sure if at first it was going to be with a P5 or the E1A. They also seemed very confident of touring with a E1A no later than October.

Last edited:

GiantDriver

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Since we are in the 2016 tour events section of the forum I have a idea. The next time any of us go to a tour event go with a list of questions from those who cant go. I drove to CT from Dover, DE just to see the P5. That was a nightmare drive! I can go about 350 miles from here. That covers a large portion of the mid-Atlantic area. Just announce that you are going and take questions with you.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Since we are in the 2016 tour events section of the forum I have a idea. The next time any of us go to a tour event go with a list of questions from those who cant go. I drove to CT from Dover, DE just to see the P5. That was a nightmare drive! I can go about 350 miles from here. That covers a large portion of the mid-Atlantic area. Just announce that you are going and take questions with you.
I've been before, and took 6 pages of questions when they did the Portland OR stop.
They don't really come to the PNW that often; which is unusual; Washington State is #4 on states with the most reservations.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must have been asleep at the wheel but today's Elio announcement caught me off guard. It said that the panels will be stamped steel rather than composite because it is cheaper. Did anyone else read that or did I misread it?

Darrellh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/elio-motors/

While the E prototypes will have composite exterior body panels, the production Elios will use steel. Elio plans on building 250,000 trikes a year and it’s easier to build with steel than fiberglass in those quantities.

Read your link a little closer, it says it will be made of unibody stamped steel panels instead of a tube frame. This is evident in the construction pictures of the P1, but it still has composite panels attached to this structure.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uhh... No. That is a direct quote from the article: "While the E prototypes will have composite exterior body panels, the production Elios will use steel. Elio plans on building 250,000 trikes a year and it’s easier to build with steel than fiberglass in those quantities." That's a deliberate statement saying that the production body panels will be steel. That's wrong, from everything that we've heard so far, but it's what they are claiming.

In other news, they have a nice picture of the steering wheel, for those that are interested:
IMG_0069.jpg

Top Bottom