• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Events 2016

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And for our "Elgin" fans like Coss :rolleyes: there is this little goodie..........
..."The instrument panel still uses conventional-sweep dial gauges for the speedometer and tachometer, not the revised version inspired by an Elgin watch belonging to Paul Elio’s father. That’s still undergoing cost analysis by the vendor."...

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/elio-motors/

While the E prototypes will have composite exterior body panels, the production Elios will use steel. Elio plans on building 250,000 trikes a year and it’s easier to build with steel than fiberglass in those quantities.
Okay, WHEN did Elio make this change? I was ALWAYS (since 2014) given to understand this would be a steel frame (tubular or not) vehicle with composite body panels. If, indeed, this has changed, I'm out. I refuse to buy another vehicle subject to rust on body panels. Has Elio confirmed this drastic change?

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uhh... No. That is a direct quote from the article: "While the E prototypes will have composite exterior body panels, the production Elios will use steel. Elio plans on building 250,000 trikes a year and it’s easier to build with steel than fiberglass in those quantities." That's a deliberate statement saying that the production body panels will be steel. That's wrong, from everything that we've heard so far, but it's what they are claiming.

In other news, they have a nice picture of the steering wheel, for those that are interested:
IMG_0069.jpg
I can't imagine the E-series being that different from the planned production vehicles and be a viable test product for crash testing. It would make the crash tests useless.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uhh... No. That is a direct quote from the article: "While the E prototypes will have composite exterior body panels, the production Elios will use steel. Elio plans on building 250,000 trikes a year and it’s easier to build with steel than fiberglass in those quantities." That's a deliberate statement saying that the production body panels will be steel. That's wrong, from everything that we've heard so far, but it's what they are claiming.

In other news, they have a nice picture of the steering wheel, for those that are interested:
IMG_0069.jpg
Thanks for providing the quote from the article

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, WHEN did Elio make this change? I was ALWAYS (since 2014) given to understand this would be a steel frame (tubular or not) vehicle with composite body panels. If, indeed, this has changed, I'm out. I refuse to buy another vehicle subject to rust on body panels. Has Elio confirmed this drastic change?
I received their email press release this morning (7/5/16) with the article quoted above.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And for our "Elgin" fans like Coss :rolleyes: there is this little goodie..........
..."The instrument panel still uses conventional-sweep dial gauges for the speedometer and tachometer, not the revised version inspired by an Elgin watch belonging to Paul Elio’s father. That’s still undergoing cost analysis by the vendor."...
Let's hope the cost do not justify the Elgin.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Elio Motors: The body panels will be SMC (composite) just like the C7 Corvettes."

Personally, I think Elio Motors should have said FMP but it is just a different company so no biggie--intellectual rights, etc.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score

IMG_0069.jpg
Do you really believe they have a clue about what they're reporting? They mixed up two different parts in their report, Stamped steal FRAME and lightweight non-fiberglass composite for a SKIN. It might not have even been the reporter. The editors might have been trying to save a line and messed it up.

Top Bottom