1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Elio Factory

Discussion in 'General Elio Discussion' started by Durk Jenkins, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Elf

Elf Elio Addict

When I tossed my hundred bucks into the pot back a few years ago I knew down deep the car would not be produced for $6800 and wouldn't be produced by 2016 if that .I've been involved with banks and manufacturing for 40 years and nothing goes smooth .Paul needs to really produce something fairly soon or a lot of folks will loose faith .You can only lip people so long .

Keith Stone and Jeff Porter like this.
  2. johnsnownw

johnsnownw Elio Addict

I haven't seen any new information, but if production has been pushed to 2018 that will require another extension on the production timeline at the factory. As it stands now, they were able to get an extension to July 2017 (if I recall).

Maybe they expect to start on the 100 pre-production models in July...and that would potentially meet the "production" requirement?

GoalieEd likes this.
  3. wizard of ahs

wizard of ahs Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    SIL 18112
    And apparently not many here have tried to start a business....
    I can tell you from personal experience....... it takes LOTS of blood, sweat, tears, time and yes $$$$$
    The first few years you are LUCKY if you can make payroll, never mind a profit !!!
    Paul is trying to launch a vehicle company..... IMHO, I think he's done a damn good job in 8 years !!!!

aahz, Doug McDow, bamelio#5 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jim H

Jim H Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Paul has done a great job in creating an unique vehicle but he needs to find a way to get it to market before a similar inferior vehicle is produced that takes Elio's market and the long term Elio supporters die of old age.

5. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Funny thing is that it doesn't even have to be a very similar vehicle that replaces it.

Minivans have all but disappeared because people just use SUVs instead. Hey, it's sort of like a van. Truth is, most SUVs are simply station wagons that sit up a little higher and are less comfortable to drive. Well, they can tow more in most cases but still. Think about it -- four doors and a hatch. In the 60's and 70's, those were called station wagons.

Will Elio get upstaged at some point by another Three wheeler? Unlikely. Will it get upstaged or made unnecessary by some inexpensive regular car? Possibly. The price difference between the Elio and the most inexpensive current car is "only" about $6,000. Of course, it doesn't get 84MPG (yet) but it does seat 5. It actually gets more miles per gallon per person if it is loaded. However, Nissan would have to cut some heft from the price to get their Versa down low enough to really compete. That isn't impossible but, hopefully, isn't in their game plan.

If a manufacturer decides to really go after the extreme low-end of cars, there isn't much Elio will have to offer and will struggle to stay competitive. The market of specialized 2 seaters isn't very big and there isn't much standing between it and a possible competitor cost-wise. I'll bet manufacturers won't rush to compete as profit will probably be pretty low.

wizard of ahs, W. WIllie and Jim H like this.
  6. Durk Jenkins

Durk Jenkins Elio Aficionado

I agree every year it's the next year. Just be honest and say it will be in 2020. This is going on for too long now. I remember when they said end of 2016.

Elf likes this.
  7. Jim H

Jim H Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    And I can remember when they said 2014

8. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

This was EM's scheduled list of milestones:
    IMG_6803.JPG
    Cross out the Milestones that were actually met and it gives us a true picture of progress made since the Reg A Funding and what still needs to be done.

Maurtis and wizard of ahs like this.
  9. BaldGuy

BaldGuy Elio Addict

They had a meeting at Shreveport about a month or so ago and they toured the plant before the meeting. They wasn't allowed to take video just pictures. And the consensus at the meeting was that not a lot was going on at the plant at that time.

10. Mel

Mel Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    What about the TV game shows that give away cars. The Elio would save them thousands of dollars and sell lots of Elios.
    Think of the publicity!