• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Fan From Louisiana

jamz

Reaction score
I do have a question, has anyone heard how the Elio should do long distance? My enthusiasm for this car is because most of my family is in Kansas and gas prices keep me from visiting as often as I would like. Do they expect the Elio to perform well on long trips? 750 miles each way.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
HI jamz, funny coincidence, Kansan here, northwest KS. :) Most of their marketing goes the route of implying dependability on a long distance trip. "Where will you go?" they say. "672 miles on a tank," they say. Their main focus is 84 mpg on the highway, $6800, and achieving the 5-star saftey rating (which won't happen until 6+ months after production starts). But, one would like to THINK... that the Elio will be able to handle a trip from DeRidder to Kansas, and back.

Components of the car are supposed to be about 80%-already-existing, so hopefully these parts have good quality and are dependable.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do have a question, has anyone heard how the Elio should do long distance? My enthusiasm for this car is because most of my family is in Kansas and gas prices keep me from visiting as often as I would like. Do they expect the Elio to perform well on long trips? 750 miles each way.

Interesting question jamz. That would be one of my concerns too, as I TOO live in Louisiana and do ALSO have family in Kansas.

Am driving a Compressed Natural Gas Honda that gets great gas mileage, (44 mpg) at a fraction of the cost of regular gasoline; problem is, the natural gas stations out there are not spaced correctly for me to drive it that far north. :(

Enter my "future" Elio. :rolleyes:

Back to your question. Don't recall any messages on the forum addressing that issue, but I hardly think it they would put a car out there that Ya couldn't just hop in and go. Do know that there are a lot of folks that are planning to cruise this great nation when we do get our Elio's. :D

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jamz, welcome to the friendly helpful forum. I see other members have answered your question . I recommend you scan through the topics on the forum and use the search function to find the information you are looking for. If you can't find it just ask because this diverse group has expertise in nearly every area from aerospace to basket weaving. Hope you enjoy the Elio experience

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score

• I would assume it will NOT ride like a Cadillac.
  • I assume it will not ride like a motorcycle, which on a hot day, the wind in your hair is 'hot' air.
  • I assume at 84 mpg I will love it even if it rides as rougher than my lifted 85' Chevy 4X4.

saint451

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that question and had sent it to Elio team, never got an answer.

On long distance trip, for instance I drove for 350 miles before stopping this last 4th. I had to stop for fuel, the yellow warning light came on. My concern was the 3 cylinder Elio engine...will it have the stamina for continuous driving. I know some portable generators with less cylinders continue at full load for at least 8 hours. So using that as a faith basis, I "assume" the Elio engine can continue on for many miles, only stopping for eating or restroom breaks.

Then with that kind of driving, how long with the Elio engine last. 50,000miles, 85,000miles, 100,000 or more. Will it be more of an hourly endurance!

That was something I wanted to know. I have two major drives I like to do, Los Angeles, Ca. and Ft. Myers, Fl. 1850 and 850 miles one way. Plan on using the Elio, especially that stretch on I-10 with the 80mph speed limit. Hit cruise, good a/c, and CCR on the radio

Welcom jamz.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score

On long distance trip, for instance I drove for 350 miles before stopping this last 4th. I had to stop for fuel, the yellow warning light came on. My concern was the 3 cylinder Elio engine...will it have the stamina for continuous driving. I know some portable generators with less cylinders continue at full load for at least 8 hours. So using that as a faith basis, I "assume" the Elio engine can continue on for many miles, only stopping for eating or restroom breaks.

Then with that kind of driving, how long with the Elio engine last. 50,000miles, 85,000miles, 100,000 or more. Will it be more of an hourly endurance!

That was something I wanted to know. I have two major drives I like to do, Los Angeles, Ca. and Ft. Myers, Fl. 1850 and 850 miles one way. Plan on using the Elio, especially that stretch on I-10 with the 80mph speed limit. Hit cruise, good a/c, and CCR on the radio

Welcom jamz.
I saw a reply on Facebook where the Elio rep indicated the engine should not have a problem reaching 200,000 miles. I'll get there within 8 years after delivery of my Elio, if I don't get a newer one before then.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Welcom jamz.

Continuous highway driving is generally easier on an engine than stop and go traffic or even idling. On a highway you are generally running at a constant speed which does not place as much strain on a drivetrain as accelerating and decelerating continuously. Also due to the overdrive gear in the transmission the engine should not be running too high in the rpm range and the faster you go the more natural cooling you receive from increased airflow.

As for engine longevity that is a big question mark that can only really be answered over time. IAV is a very experienced engine design shop and they are not trying to do anything truly radical with this engine design so theoretically this should minimize the potential for major issues. Hopefully between a good design and good testing data over the next year they will be able to make this engine last at least the 200,000 miles they expect from it.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, jamz. If you travel like I do you will be stopping more frequently than most men. I stop at every rest area even if it is to simply get out and walk around the car. If I don't I have trouble walking when I reach my destination. I figure these breaks can't hurt the car and definitely make me feel better. I'm not at all worried about taking long trips. In fact, I hope to pick my Elio up in Shreveport and drive the long way home so I can show if off to my son in Toledo, OH and my other son in Lynnwood, WA. My biggest concern is TBS (tired butt syndrome). That is more likely to be a problem than the Elio itself. LOL :-) Z

Top Bottom