• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Front Crumple Zone Animation

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
7468150358_82e5ff701b.jpg

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Definately. Just a little Friday afternoon humor :)
As long as the car is running the speed is being calculated. You must take into account all the time that the car spends at 0 speed. Stop lights, stop signs, waiting for wife, kids, not so fast, fast food. For four months it sits in the drive way in the winter running for 20 min. waiting for my wife to get in and drive it to work and again coming home. Trust me, when I drive it's all ways at the speed limit. ;) ;)

Ryan

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody know if the floorpan is steel or composite? Just curious if it's an integral part of the chassis or not.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody know if the floorpan is steel or composite? Just curious if it's an integral part of the chassis or not.

The floorpan is made of the same composite material as the body panels. The floorpan, bodysides, roof, doors, hood, trunk and fenders are all composite on this vehicle.

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a former EMT trained in using the Jaws-of-Life, the material of the body panels is largely irrelevant. In many car accidents, collapsed door panels can entrap people or restrict extrication. A composite plastic body panel is NOT likely to bend and require bending-back or cutting.

The strength of the roll-cage structure in the Elio should be superior to most cars, pickups, Suburbans, etc. As a former EMT, I feel safe driving my smart because it has a Tridion cell (roll cage) surrounding the occupants. Like smarts, I assume the roll cage structure of the Elio will be structurally superior to almost all A, B, and C pillars found in almost all vehicles. With a Jaws-of-Life, A,B and C pillars cut like butter, and provide little protection.

NACAR relies on the safety structure of a roll cagerather than A, B and C pillars. Maybe we can psoup-up our Elios and run them in NACAR.

Top Bottom