• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Question? -
How many cars have you bought just because of the dash that was in them?
How many cars have you NOT bought just because of the dash that was in them?
Personally, I buy cars for style and comfort.......a stylish vehicle generally has stylish & functional components throughout the vehicle........so the dash is in harmony with the vehicle.......good design princples used by auto designers.
Not the case with the Elio when it comes to the engineer specified dash. The dash becomes the odd interior focal feature in an otherwise stylish and functional vehicle that many don't like. I will buy it irregardless because of the pricepoint and intended use. If it was in a high end expensive vehicle I wouldn't buy it because of the Elgin dash.

Texconsin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elgin Dash, Yes or No.

If No, then what?
Elio_interior.jpg

upload_2014-4-27_21-0-22-jpeg.731.jpg

Something readable would be nice.

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Question? -
How many cars have you bought just because of the dash that was in them?
How many cars have you NOT bought just because of the dash that was in them?

personally i have walked away from cars because of the instrument setup. if i have to be a captive customer in the car and stare at the dash that i don't like i just walk away. it is like how many cars did you get because you liked the style or not? if you have to be seen in it you want likes not dislikes. yes some will get it just because it gets good mileage, some because it is different. but most will judge the complete package. and i'm telling you if sales fail because people say no way the dash if to ugly the dash will change or elio will go out of business period.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I buy cars for style and comfort.......a stylish vehicle generally has stylish & functional components throughout the vehicle........so the dash is in harmony with the vehicle.......good design princples used by auto designers.
Not the case with the Elio when it comes to the engineer specified dash. The dash becomes the odd interior focal feature in an otherwise stylish and functional vehicle that many don't like. I will buy it irregardless because of the pricepoint and intended use. If it was in a high end expensive vehicle I wouldn't buy it because of the Elgin dash.

personally i have walked away from cars because of the instrument setup. if i have to be a captive customer in the car and stare at the dash that i don't like i just walk away. it is like how many cars did you get because you liked the style or not? if you have to be seen in it you want likes not dislikes. yes some will get it just because it gets good mileage, some because it is different. but most will judge the complete package. and i'm telling you if sales fail because people say no way the dash if to ugly the dash will change or elio will go out of business period.

All this on a dash that you have not seen in operation or in truth how it will look in the finished product......I hope the majority of people do change out the dash, in the future that will only make my elio more valuable for being all original.

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I always preferred the '55 and '56 chevy dashes over the '57's. I actually sold a '57 Nomad because I just couldn't stand the dash. BTW I think the '58 is the ugliest car Chevrolet ever created.

ross you did not like the 58? i thought the 58 impala was better than the 57 but the 55,56 was a good looking car as well. the 57 dash was hideious but if you talk about ugly american cars take the 59 ford that was a sloppy design in my opinion.

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
all i can say is with all the negative comments on this, that the designers would take that into account. yes it is paul's dream and he can make it anyway he wants to but if he wants to sell them and make money he will have to conform to the way people want to be seen in it and see it. you can get it with any dash or any place they put the gas door or hang the muffler on the side. but cars sell for looks and performance, that is a fact. why do people get 50k cars that get no more mileage than a 20k car? mostly for the style and they want to be seen. yes this car will sell because it is a low priced car and claims 84 mpg but it will be a niche car if paul keeps it in his style, it will never be another model t car back then not many people had cars or made much money and that car did revolutionise the transportation market but not now days. this car will start a revolution i'm sure but the next ones will have on them what people want. how many future builders are reading this stuff here and taking notes? if it looks like it will take off these people will take advantage of the desires of this forum and add the stuff people want. yea it will cost more but people want the goodies.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OMG! What if Paul Elio's father had owned a Rolex watch and we were to have a Rolex inspired dash..........would have cost more than the Elio with the Elgin standard. I'm liking the Elgin........goofyone said it was very readable after seeing it up close and personal.

Top Bottom