• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We are going to have to get advance clearance to insure the Elio before the pick-up date. Probably going to take a little time for the insurance companys to get their head around this.
My insurance company automatically insures my new vehicles for 30 days without me having to do anything before purchase.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see any Insurance company giving out accurate quotes until the vehicle is close to production and/or they have the chance to go over crash test data.
NHTSA does NOT 'crash test' new vehicles until they have been in PRODUCTION for six months, and at that ..... they only test the 'popular' ones first. I'm sure that once the P5 is ready and tested, Elio Motors will put together an 'information package', that will be made available to major insurance companies (before production begins). They want the Elio Sales process to be SMOOTH, even more than YOU and I do!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
NHTSA does NOT 'crash test' new vehicles until they have been in PRODUCTION for six months, and at that ..... they only test the 'popular' ones first. I'm sure that once the P5 is ready and tested, Elio Motors will put together an 'information package', that will be made available to major insurance companies (before production begins). They want the Elio Sales process to be SMOOTH, even more than YOU and I do!

I agree that Elio will likely make available as much information as they can to the insurance companies before production begins as it is in Elios best interest to make this process go as smoothly as possible for all their customers.

As for NHTSA crash testing there is some question as to whether or not the Elio will undergo the official round of testing as this is done on cars and according to the federal government the Elio is a motorcycle and not a car. Will be interesting to see how this plays out as it would not surprise me if Elio would actually push for official NHTSA crash testing as that is a big selling point of the vehicle. Either way I know Elio plans to crash test a number of vehicles themselves before production. I know crash testing can be done at government certified independent labs and automakers are generally allowed to use these results in marketing as if they are official government crash ratings.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that Elio will likely make available as much information as they can to the insurance companies before production begins as it is in Elios best interest to make this process go as smoothly as possible for all their customers.

As for NHTSA crash testing there is some question as to whether or not the Elio will undergo the official round of testing as this is done on cars and according to the federal government the Elio is a motorcycle and not a car. Will be interesting to see how this plays out as it would not surprise me if Elio would actually push for official NHTSA crash testing as that is a big selling point of the vehicle. Either way I know Elio plans to crash test a number of vehicles themselves before production. I know crash testing can be done at government certified independent labs and automakers are generally allowed to use these results in marketing as if they are official government crash ratings.
It is probable that they find a way to have the testing done privately in case the results aren't flattering.

Malthorn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
NHTSA is not the only people who do crash testing. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety conducts testing and I would hope that Elio has a spot in the testing schedule for late(r) this year.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
NHTSA is not the only people who do crash testing. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety conducts testing and I would hope that Elio has a spot in the testing schedule for late(r) this year.

The IIHS testing is actually completely independent of automakers and the government and I like their testing because of this fact. The IIHS is funded mainly by the insurance industry and purchases cars at retail then tests them so this is truly random production vehicle testing without influence from the automaker and/or government.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It is probable that they find a way to have the testing done privately in case the results aren't flattering.

Just about all automakers test their cars via certified independent labs as this is the only way they can advertise a car as being safety rated prior to actual NHTSA crash testing which as has been pointed out does not happen for some time after the vehicle has been released. I am sure sometimes the vehicles have issues and are retested until they pass but that is the advantage that automakers have in testing ahead of time and avoids the embarrassment of a poor government test result. Elio Motors has said a number of times they plan to crash test most of the two dozen or so pre-production "E" builds and I am sure they will use a certified lab to do this crash testing.

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We are going to have to get advance clearance to insure the Elio before the pick-up date. Probably going to take a little time for the insurance companys to get their head around this.
I asked the Elio Team about Autocycle insurance, I asked if any deal's could be made with any LARGE Insurance company in this new class of three wheel "Autocycles"... I would think that any Insurance company would see a possible LARGE group of new customer's with almost 17,000 new polices ready to be pick-up.... in a very short time...

Elio Team asked me to not ask my Insurance company about the Elio at this time, they were working on a package deal to set up with Insurance companies... because of the Autocycle classification is not in every State at this date... with it having three wheels, Auto controls and enclosed roll cage etc.... Elio Team stated that they have been working for 18 months on Autocycle Insurance deals and all should be in place by production time in 2015...

This is NOT A FACT, it is just what they replied to me when I asked about getting Autocycle insurance before touring the plant...
They did say they were working on it to get a great deal for the Elio customers...

Proud to be... an Elio owner...soon #2225 white with green stripes, auto, cruise control, trail hitch...

Top Bottom