• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio + Google Driverless Car Tech + Uber???

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people who ride taxis ride alone. If they're going to the airport, they have significant luggage.

Uber is having a problem w/passenger safety. See: "Uber offers tips for not getting sexually assaulted by its drivers"
at: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/uber-offers-tips-not-getting-sexually-assaulted-drivers-132027442.html

Google is developing driverless technology.

If Elio makes special Elio taxis w/o a rear seat, they could make a single passenger driverless taxi w/lots of storage space for luggage. It arrives by itself. Unlocks its door. You load up your luggage and get in. It takes you to your destination and you get out and unload. It drives to its next passenger. Payment, like everything else, is automatic online.

Sounds like a huge market for Elio.

Thoughts?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Google is developing driverless technology.

Thoughts?

I vividly remember the first time I drove a car with a cruise control .... it was very unsettling, for a time I felt like had no control over the truck (Jeep actually) .... the time may come but for me it will most likely be way, way down the road (if ever) that I'd get into a car that I can't control .... visions of not being able to keep the vehicle from following a GPS route come to mind

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The first generation of self driving vehicle systems are actually in use right now in the form of adaptive cruise control systems. These systems use sensors to determine the distance to the vehicle in front and slow the vehicle down and/or speed up automatically as necessary to maintain a constant safe distance. These systems are now widely available as an option on vehicles $25K-$40K and quickly becoming a standard accessory on vehicles $40K+.

The wide scale adoption of this technology means that, whether or not you have one installed in your vehicle, your safety is already dependent on these systems working properly as the person behind you could very well be using one of these systems and you have no way of knowing or doing anything about it. Food for thought. :cool:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long as I'm alive there will always be at least one autocycle on the road with a driver on board. I am currently 68 and expect to be driving another 25+ years. After that I'll give Uber a call.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long as I'm alive there will always be at least one autocycle on the road with a driver on board. I am currently 68 and expect to be driving another 25+ years. After that I'll give Uber a call.
I applaud your life expectation, and with a seeing eye dog sitting in the rear seat I see no major problems.
Most true if you move to South Florida, home of the living dead, where, online you can renew your driver's license for 10 years at a time. The only way they can get 'em off the road, is if they are involved in a crash, or the "kids" come down and take away the keys. My last bike "accident"- I'm sitting at a light got rear ended by one of these cataract drivers- who gets out and says (which will probably be on my headstone) "I'm sorry I didn't see you!!)
before you get a senior moment- I'm 72, run daily, and came in third in a recent 5k road race, (but to tell the truth, there were only 3 in my age group!!) Vegan, 140lbs 5'11, no meds, and even I don't even imagine driving 20 yrs from now- I was happy when I told my kids the light went on all by itself, eveytime I opened the bathroom door and they let me know I was peeing in the frig!!

Top Bottom