• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio/iav Engine Dyno Testing

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe Jim shared an Elio outline of what the test procedures will be not "have been".

that is exactly correct .... what I was trying to relay is the nature of the process .... with them starting in Mid November and closing down for the Thanksgiving Holiday, they are still very, very, very early in the process

Jim

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IAV probably has a bunch of projects going all at different intervals. They probably work the Elio project in when they can. There is probably not a bunch of guy standing over the thing whipping it into shape. It may wait several days or weeks for its testing turn to come up.
MK

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
We spoke about this with Jerome today in Charlotte and the engine testing program has been going on now for about two months however it is a very slow and methodical process which involves assembling and disassembling the engine a number of times and x-raying the components along the way at various stages of testing and a bunch of other details only the engineers really care about. This process will take a few more months and will actually end with this engine destroyed as the last test is running it at maximum RPM for a set time then slowly draining the oil out and seeing when it finally dies and how the various components help up and/or failed.

JEBar took notes on this so he may more details but this is basically the process and it just takes a while to even get to a place where they fully understand what exactly the engine is capable of.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
that is exactly correct .... what I was trying to relay is the nature of the process .... with them starting in Mid November and closing down for the Thanksgiving Holiday, they are still very, very, very early in the process

Jim

After you left I was actually able to chat with Jerome a bit more and get the past timeline a little better defined and it looks like they are about two months into it now however the expected amount of time left is still measured in months either way. Apparently by mid November they actually had assembled the engine and disassembled it at least once and this actually also fits with what we had heard from Jerome before.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess when I saw "dyno testing" I took that to mean they were going to dyno test the engine and post the results. Dyno testing takes minutes, not months...it sounds like what they're actually doing is long term testing, which involves a lot more than just dyno testing...it would be nice if they have done the dyno testing portion of the trial to post those results though...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess when I saw "dyno testing" I took that to mean they were going to dyno test the engine and post the results. Dyno testing takes minutes, not months...it sounds like what they're actually doing is long term testing, which involves a lot more than just dyno testing...it would be nice if they have done the dyno testing portion of the trial to post those results though...

at this point EM only has 1 engine to work with .... so, baby steps are very much the order of the day .... as noted earlier, they have an plan in place to thoroughly test the motor in a manner which will yield the results they need without destroying it before the testing is completed

Jim

Top Bottom