1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Elio In Canada

Discussion in 'Regional Clubs' started by Andrew Hurst, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Andrew Hurst

Andrew Hurst Elio Fan

I would like to connect with any other Canadians who are waiting for their chance to own an Elio. It would be good to compare notes, and pool our resources, to best deal with whatever legal and bureaucratic roadblocks and detours that might lay ahead. Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Andrew.

2. Jambe

Jambe Elio Addict

Peter Beens is #2305 in Canada but I don't have a city or province for him.

acamara, TCBronson, AriLea and 2 others like this.
  3. Peter Beens

Peter Beens Elio Fan

TCBronson, zelio, Jambe and 1 other person like this.
  4. RUCRAYZE

RUCRAYZE Elio Addict

I think the Elio is small enough to smuggle in!!- Back in the day, doing grad work at Plattsburgh, we'd do beer runs in to Canada, and aside from a little marker on the road, you wouldn't know you crossed the border!!

'can't you buy one in the states and drive it home??

5. Peter Beens

Peter Beens Elio Fan

acamara, TCBronson, zelio and 2 others like this.
  6. RUCRAYZE

RUCRAYZE Elio Addict

I don't think you'll have to face it by yourself, EM has made great progress in resolving these type of problems- Is it a MC?do you need a helmet?, can you go in HOV lanes? - small plate etc. Right now I don't think State MV's would know what do do with the Elio, but iin he planing of the autocycle I'm sure EM's got a well thought out stratigy
    As we start to see that there are now only a few states that haven't changed their helmet law- reflects the ground work that's being developed. I think it will be a non issue when we get there

7. karl

karl Elio Addict

Elio is facing enough challenges with the Balkanized USA at this point to hope for much help over the border at this point. http://www.naftanow.org/

8. zelio

zelio Elio Addict

acamara, TCBronson and Jim H like this.
  9. Andrew Hurst

Andrew Hurst Elio Fan

Hi Peter, I've been off line for a while and just saw your post. Glad to hear that I am not the only Canadian. I'm only "all-in", not reserved yet. I am fantasizing about fighting my way through the red tape, buying one in the US and driving it home. I'm not at a point yet where I have the time to start even researching for and planning my battles. I have bought two "antique" cars from the US in the past ( a '65 Triumph Herald Convertible, and more recently an '88 Volvo 240 Wagon for my son ) and the red tape was not a big deal. This might be a whole other story though. I will let you know if I learn anything and hope you will do the same. I sure hope the Canadian dollar comes back out of the ditch before it is time to buy!

I lived in London, Ontario for 10 years and the only area that I really liked to visit and drive around was the escarpment, particularly your end of it. I wonder what the Elio's hill climbing capacity will be? On the plus side it will be light and aerodynamic, on the negative, I don't expect the engine to be very torquey.

Andrew

BilgeRat, acamara, TCBronson and 2 others like this.
  10. Peter Beens

Peter Beens Elio Fan

Quiet forum -- still only two of us in Canada?

Anyone hear any rumours on Elio's plans to certify in Canada? Perhaps now that we've had multiple delays they could get the ball rolling to get the Elio certified in Canada and get the helmet and licensing laws amended.

Peter

acamara, TCBronson and AriLea like this.