• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Insurance - Cost. - General Discussion And / Or Specifically Advanced Coverages.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am new here and Insurance is one of my big concerns. 7 years ago I had a major crash on my Gold Wing which landed me in the hospital with multiple broken ribs and 3 breaks in my collarbone. Luckily I was wearing a helmet. I then found out that in Minnesota, motorcycle insurance does not cover medical as the insurance treats motorcycles as a leisure item and does not require coverage for medical. My personal insurance covered it but I was told that I could not even purchase medical insurance for a motorcycle. If I did not have my personal insurance, I would have been in trouble!

I can only hope things have changed.
Welcome Jim.
It's the same for MCs in PA.
It goes a disturbing bit further here.
If someone hits you and is 100% at fault...
The law says they have to pay vehicle and property damage.
They don't have to pay you a dime for your medical bills.
Not right IMO, but the politicians make the rules.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am new here and Insurance is one of my big concerns. 7 years ago I had a major crash on my Gold Wing which landed me in the hospital with multiple broken ribs and 3 breaks in my collarbone. Luckily I was wearing a helmet. I then found out that in Minnesota, motorcycle insurance does not cover medical as the insurance treats motorcycles as a leisure item and does not require coverage for medical. My personal insurance covered it but I was told that I could not even purchase medical insurance for a motorcycle. If I did not have my personal insurance, I would have been in trouble!

I can only hope things have changed.

Actually you can get medical coverage for riding on your bike but it is often a great deal more expensive than using your normal medical insurance.

If EM succeeds at getting a federally defined autocycle complete with enclosed cabin and safety features I'd bet the rates for personal injury protection for the elio would be more in line with what you pay on your car, but of course, only time will tell.

Keith James

Reaction score
I was requested directly by Elio in an email to not bother asking insurance companies this question and they that, Elio, were "working" on this. It's actually a major point to me as if insurance for a second vehicle were too much I would reconsider having a second vehicle. I haven't invested yet and do not have a number, but I'm hoping to jump in sometime this autumn or this winter in 2016.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was requested directly by Elio in an email to not bother asking insurance companies this question and they that, Elio, were "working" on this. It's actually a major point to me as if insurance for a second vehicle were too much I would reconsider having a second vehicle. I haven't invested yet and do not have a number, but I'm hoping to jump in sometime this autumn or this winter in 2016.
How would you get an insurance quote for a vehicle that does officially exist?

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MY FREEWAY WAS TITLED & PLATED AS A BIKE .

I WAS SHOCKED AT HOW MUCH CHEAPER IT WAS FOR
TAXES , REGISTRATION & INSURANCE THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN
FOR THE SAME VEHICLE IF IT WAS A CAR .

CAN'T , BUT MUST , WAIT TO GET MY ELIO !

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0313.JPG

Top Bottom