• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Kit, Would You Still Buy?

What would you pay for such a kit?

• $6,200

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • $6,800

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • $7,400

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • $8,000

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • $8,600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9,200

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • heck no!

Votes: 73 64.0%

• Total voters

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
+1 for factory five.

It's funny how some of you think that Elio's current business model is "easier" than making kits. Sure, it's easier for YOU, but insanely more difficult. I do process engineering for new product introduction--this stuff is HARD. Elio is waaaaaaaay out of their league with no experience and no apparent plans. Mass producing vehicles is outside of their capability envelope, I'm afraid. The still seem to be self-deluding that "the suppliers will figure it out for us by designing their parts to work together"...yeah, good luck with that. Ain't gonna work. Someone needs to be in charge! They don't seem to have any Manufacturing Operations team or team leader of any sort. They're flailing wildly, IMO.

Making kit cars on the other hand MIGHT BE within their realm of competence--if they could produce a kit HALF as good as a Factory Five kit, they'd be doing a wonderful thing.
Constructing a kit that can actually be assembled by some random guy in his garage is HUGELY more complicated than assembling on a line. There is a reason Ford doesn't do that and that's the same reason cars were built in factories in the first place. Elio will spend FAR less time assembling each vehicle than any single random person. Besides, whether Elio assembled it or you assemble it, the parts still have to fit together. "process engineering for new product introduction..." Try "actual industrial engineering at the same plant using the same equipment Elio bought." I actually know what challenges they are facing because not only did I work at GM as an Industrial Engineer, but it was at the same plant. I could be wrong in thinking that your expertise may be outside the automotive industry (I'm guessing it is with a company that does one offs and you can't reveal what company that is). Maybe this came across a bit harsh but I never said it was simple for them. I said it would be easier for them to assemble the car vs. Putting together a kit full of auto parts, checking contents, and shipping it to my door.

Last edited:

fred bott

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
BEEN THERE DONE THAT !
I built a '29 Bugatti kit from a VW doner car.
Wonderful project BUT I was 30 years younger !
At 75, I could NOT undertake such a project again. MAN, talk about ALOT of work required.
NO. THE ELIO MUST BE FACTORY ASSEMBLED. I AM WILLING TO PAY MORE IF NECESSARY.

I have a '29 Mercedes kit on a PINTO chassis and just the project of restoring it is almost more than I can handle.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OMG! Paul Elio says $6800.......why the heck would you say I'll pay more! I can afford $6800......perhaps you could tip the boys at the Elio Retail Center............. a voluntary price increase so to speak...........when you take delivery.
NOTE: When the initial Hello Elio Marketing Campaign started some 5 + years ago the price point was $7500 and estimated 75 mpg. Since..............the price has dropped and the mpg has increased. $6800 it is. Heck, they could even drop the price point a few bucks by the time production rolls around. Go Elio!

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing this out as it serves to highlight one of the great ideas Elio Motors uses to push this project forward while avoiding the very problem you mentioned. Elio Motors holds monthly supplier summits where Elio Motors designers, engineers, and the suppliers all get together to make sure everyone is on the same page.

http://eliomotors.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/super-bowl-with-elio-13114/

And that's one of my main points: EM is leaning on suppliers like a dying old man leans on his crutch. Suppliers can't build this car. EM needs to OWN the project, not outsource it. You think EM is the first company that thought up this model? Ask yourself why it's never worked before...

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And that's one of my main points: EM is leaning on suppliers like a dying old man leans on his crutch. Suppliers can't build this car. EM needs to OWN the project, not outsource it. You think EM is the first company that thought up this model? Ask yourself why it's never worked before...

ROFLMAO

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
08-51.gif

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Um... all of the manufacturers "lean on suppliers", don't they? Navistar was Ford's supplier of diesel engines for years. In fact, before the 6.7 liter, Ford had never built its own engine... Chevy - same thing but with their electronics. At the GM plant, we imported the hoods for the Hombre... I'll bet you would be hard pressed to find a "manufacturer" of vehicles who builds all their own parts. Seriously. Name one. Elio won't stamp out their own body panels but other than that, they basically have the same business model that GM used at the Shreveport plant--- collect parts, assemble, sell. BTW, Ford's most profitable vehicle line is their Superduty trucks... and they never built their own diesel motors (granted, the motors sucked and I'm glad they now build their own diesel which is a big improvement).

It's kind of cute that you don't think other manufacturers get parts from suppliers... JUST LIKE ELIO WILL.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

As Ty has pointed out EM did not invent this model as this is a standard model used by the entire auto industry, along with many other manufacturing sectors, and has proven to be a very efficient way to doing things. This method allows everyone to work together towards the project goal by taking advantage of each suppliers area of expertise. Elio Motors employs the overall design and engineering team however this team coordinates with suppliers and the manufacturing team to ensure they are building a vehicle which is cost effective and can be built efficiently on the assembly line.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You have to remember the problems involved with suppliers in all forms of manufacturing. I lost a very successful business because of one supplier that failed to deliver on time as promised, it cost me $33,000. (I was not always a car salesman).
EMs suppliers are busy doing jobs for other people.. Coordinating EM into this system is going to be a problem. They are not waiting for EM, EM will be waiting for them. The time frame now doesn't exist because EM isn't even close to putting out a final proto yet.
If one of the suppliers get a big contract say a years worth of work for the military, boom goes that supplier and EM is scrambling to find a replacement. Do you actually think a supplier has 14 months from now circled on their calendar?
If you have now, or ever run a business which depends on others , you would know exactly what I mean.

Top Bottom