• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Kit, Would You Still Buy?

What would you pay for such a kit?

• $6,200

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • $6,800

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • $7,400

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • $8,000

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • $8,600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9,200

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • heck no!

Votes: 73 64.0%

• Total voters

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
i would think if they did make it a kit it would be somewhat assembled anyway. kind of like the kits car manufactures put together when they send there cars to another factory for final assembly. or even snowmobiles and motorcycles when they arrive at the retailers for sale. we may have to put the insides together like steering wheel? fenders body panels and maybe even the tires but for the most part the car maybe assembled. they would have to crate it and a half assembled car is much easier to ship that a box of parts. i would even expect to see the drive train in the frame all bolted in. may have to put the wire harness together as well but how hard could that be? most all harnesses have only one spot to plug into.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Years back there was some pretty sketchy kit cars, most based on the VW bug platform. Factory Five makes some awesome kits with some serious engineering built into them. Gave this one (818S) some serious thought, and it's still on "the list" of toys I want in my toy box someday. Suby WRX engine and drivetrain. Ain't she sexy!

818.png
818Sframe.png

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This additional delay sucks, I was hoping to have my Elio before I retire, I may still get it before then. I have a $1000 invested (number 2336) and I still want my Elio and I will wait. Another thing to think about for the mechanical inclined, if Elio can't get all of the drivetrain developed maybe they could get the rest of the car developed as KIT CAR where you could purchase it and add your Geo Metro or similar drivetrain. I am so impressed with the Elio that I would give $6800 just for the Kit and then I could get a junk Geo drivetrain, rebuild it and install it and drive down Elio road :):):)

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not so sure Mr Elio currently has enough R&D resources to even develop the Elio Concept as a $6,800 kit car...

Maybe a limited edition $12,000 kit car...available in 2017...:D:D:D

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could go with a Kit car but at a huge discount. Also if it were delivered as a Kit it should remain a Motorcycle. Far less regulation to comply with.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would be down for an Elio "kit" , provided that it is a complete roller waiting for only for drivetrain . I would even pay $6800 for it . Deliver my Elio to my door , roll it into the garage and watch the fun begin ,

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This additional delay sucks, I was hoping to have my Elio before I retire, I may still get it before then. I have a $1000 invested (number 2336) and I still want my Elio and I will wait. Another thing to think about for the mechanical inclined, if Elio can't get all of the drivetrain developed maybe they could get the rest of the car developed as KIT CAR where you could purchase it and add your Geo Metro or similar drivetrain. I am so impressed with the Elio that I would give $6800 just for the Kit and then I could get a junk Geo drivetrain, rebuild it and install it and drive down Elio road :):):)
Those junked Geo metro motors might not be all that easy to find these days. Lots of people been snatching up the ones that ain't been melted down for various applications. Besides, what's the point of an Elio that only gets 45 MPG or so? That's good, but it's not great. I would love to get an Elio kit, for the right price. But it would have to be an 80 MPG kit, and that means Elio's engine, tyranny, ecu, fuel system, etc...etc... If they had all that they could start putting cars together and this would all be a moot point.
I guess it all depends on what you want the vehicle to do. If you don't care what the MPG is and you just think it looks like a fun drive, then what the heck... shoehorn a V8 into it and have a blast! Bear in mind though, we don't even know how the thing might handle on the road. It's never been built yet.

Top Bottom