• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Price Discussion, $6800?

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rick; You and fpelsdca are now nominated for the Darwin Award.
The following is reportedly a true story;
The Arizona (U.S.) Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering metal
imbedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road, at the apex of
a curve.

The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car.
The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene.

The boys in the lab finally figured out what it was, and what had
happened.

It seems that a guy had somehow gotten hold of a JATO unit, (Jet Assisted
Take Off, actually a solid-fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy
military transport planes an extra `push' for taking off from short
airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert, and
found a long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit
to his car, jumped in, got up some speed, and fired off the JATO!!
Best as they could determine, he was doing somewhere between 250 and 300
mph (350-420kph) when he came to that curve....

The brakes were completely burned away, apparently from trying to slow
the car.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a curve.

happened.

the car.
Sorry, but:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/jato.asp

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is it about you guys that you can't let go of MSRP? Do you even know what MSRP means? It means Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. That means negotiable. Elio's $6800, according to Paul Elio, is the Elio price for a vehicle without options. Please scratch MSRP language from your memory. It is unhealthy and insulting to Paul Elio's dream and goals. So, my Elio is going to cost $6800 plus delivery and license (no sales tax in Oregon). I will have to pay extra for auo (unforunately), cruise (expected), openable rear windows (expected) and trailer hitch if I get one (expected). That is it and that is one of the things I love about the Elio and Paul Elio's dream. No stinkin' MSRP! No negotiating. Also everyone who gets the same options as I do will pay the same price. How cool is that! LOL :) Z

Z, The only way you and I will be able to tell our Elios apart in a parking lot is, mine will be the one with tinted windows.

russell ramsdell

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Shouldn't the Darwin be awarded for being more evolved -that's just a theory I guess----maybe call it the Still award ,cause they're Still waiting to evolve

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a curve.

happened.

the car.

I have seen the JATO used on a C-130 and I am surprised the impala stayed on the ground long enough to burn the brakes up. To bad they couldnt save the dash cam..... I bet the last thing he said was :Hey Y'all hold my beer, watch this."

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking on how that $6800.00 number came about. Not $6900, not $7000 not $6700.

and will they actually be able to deliver a vehicle at $6800?

inflation and delays make this harder and harder as every day passes by.

You cannot buy a new Motorcycle for $6800. so how disappointed would you be if they missed that mark?

Why is 84 MPG/$6,800 so impactful? Because it’s a lot better than 23 MPG/$32,068!

As a fan of Elio Motors and the vehicle, you know that we continually drill home two really important benefits that some thought impossible but we plan to make reality.

84 MPG and $6,800.

We say it again and again and again. Why? Because these two targets are what drives Elio Motors and what will ultimately drive you.

These figures – 84 MPG and $6,800 are radical improvements compared to industry averages, and today’s consumer is clamoring for something this affordable and this fuel efficient.

The average new vehicle price in 2013 was $32,068, according to industry pricing guide Kelley Blue Book, while the average EPA fuel economy estimate for 2013 was 23 MPG. Let that sink in -- $32,068 and 23 MPG. With an Elio, consumers get nearly three times the gas mileage for around one-fifth the price.

“Vehicle affordability is really out of balance,” said Paul Elio, CEO of Elio Motors. “The weak economy has suppressed earnings for most people, but the cost of a new vehicle continues to go up. It really is an unsustainable course.”

If a consumer placed a 20 percent down payment on an average vehicle, they would still need to finance more than $25,000. For a 48-month loan, that means they will pay more than $600 per month. It’s a hefty price tag, and it’s far too much for most people in the United States. With gas at $4 per gallon, it costs $2,600 to drive 15,000 miles in a vehicle with average fuel efficiency. Driving the same distance in an Elio at $4 per gallon will cost less than $1,000, which is obviously a significant savings.

Of course, millions of vehicles on the road today get significantly lower than average fuel efficiency. Most of these “clunkers” are low-cost vehicles owned by people who don’t believe a new vehicle is within their price range. For these consumers, Elio Motors will be a true game changer. Instead of driving an unreliable, low-mileage vehicle, “clunker” owners will now be able to afford a new vehicle that costs four times less to operate and comes with a three-year, 36,000 mile warranty.

“High vehicle costs, high operating costs and high maintenance costs drag down the affordability of most used vehicles,” Elio said. “We are providing our own version of "Cash for Clunkers" that will help get many of these vehicles off the road. So, when we hit our sales targets, we will help to reduce fuel consumption by 0.35 percent. That’s significant.”

For Elio, it was a matter of challenging people’s mindset about transportation. Sure, families need the functionality offered by a pickup truck, an SUV or a minivan. There are projects to do, sports to play and vacations to take. Often, these require a big vehicle with a lot of seats. And, of course, the car companies are more than willing to manufacture and sell these vehicles. Pickups, SUVs and minivans are very profitable.

But, why not have a second vehicle for all those days when you aren’t doing a project, heading to a ball game or heading up to the cottage? Most work commutes – 76.3 percent, in fact – are driven solo. So, why not own a second, more affordable vehicle for those trips?

As long as vehicle prices and operating costs remain high, Elio will remain a winning solution for all.

Top Bottom