• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Progress

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any one heard what the next step will be for Elio?
Are they going to show the E1c around or pile it up in the name of safety:shocked:
Maybe they are working on another E version with a conceled exhaust and the gas fill on the left?
I liked the fact that the e1c had real glass in it. The tint looked about right could use a little more.
Hope this is non-electrifying enough:cupcake:
MK
I should clarify this as:
What is next after the show for Elio and the E1c
MK

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are 2 special case E series Elios... E1b and E1C... one for setting the engineering standard and one for show. When will E1b be finished? really finished? Probably right before production starts as it will be continually updated with parts to keep it as the standard. Anyone hear otherwise? Anyone hear how THAT one is coming along?

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are 2 special case E series Elios... E1b and E1C... one for setting the engineering standard and one for show. When will E1b be finished? really finished? Probably right before production starts as it will be continually updated with parts to keep it as the standard. Anyone hear otherwise? Anyone hear how THAT one is coming along?
I have not heard anything other than what you have on the E1b. I don't know though if we ever will. It sounds like a somewhat expensive path to continually upgrade one vehicle that might not see the light of day. Sounds like a physical records management of the updates.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have not heard anything other than what you have on the E1b. I don't know though if we ever will. It sounds like a somewhat expensive path to continually upgrade one vehicle that might not see the light of day. Sounds like a physical records management of the updates.

That's EXACTLY what it is :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. It's a cheap way to allow parts vendors to ensure their parts all play nice. It's cheaper and more accurate to do this physical "mock up" than to rely on CAD drawings and good intentions. This way, the door handle vendor has to actually make sure it works right in the production copy of the Elio.

Anyway, I'd like to see a diagram of where Elio is on each model and what the hold up is for each... It COULD be that the 23 are complete except they are waiting on something that hasn't been finalized yet. Don't shout out "MONEY!" because I'd think that whether you make one door panel or 23, the cost would almost be the same as you don't have to pay to build 23 different molds and the material can't be THAT expensive.

EDIT: I said "I'd like to see..." I'm 100% aware that Elio does not owe any of us that level of fidelity nor should we expect it. However, I still think it would be neat.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm 100% aware that Elio does not owe any of us that level of fidelity nor should we expect it. However, I still think it would be neat.
Yes it would be neat; and yes, you are correct, they are not obligated to tell or show us anything; they do it to keep interest up.
When have you seen Ford or Chevy or Kia or any of the automotive manufacturer ever show anyone all the steps they're going through to and upcoming model or line of new cars? Maybe after it's in the showrooms they'll do a "What it took" documentary; but never a step by step before it ever goes to production.
I saw a show the other night about the Porsche 918; it was a new record, 1,100 days from idea to production.
Then during the show they mention that they were using some parts and designs that had been in testing and development for 10 to 15 years.
And this is from a company in the business of building cars for the last 85 years.
I feel Elio is doing fantastic for a start up car company.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes it would be neat; and yes, you are correct, they are not obligated to tell or show us anything; they do it to keep interest up.
When have you seen Ford or Chevy or Kia or any of the automotive manufacturer ever show anyone all the steps they're going through to and upcoming model or line of new cars? Maybe after it's in the showrooms they'll do a "What it took" documentary; but never a step by step before it ever goes to production.
I saw a show the other night about the Porsche 918; it was a new record, 1,100 days from idea to production.
Then during the show they mention that they were using some parts and designs that had been in testing and development for 10 to 15 years.
And this is from a company in the business of building cars for the last 85 years.
I feel Elio is doing fantastic for a start up car company.
I agree. It takes many years still to get a car from the drawing board to the showroom floor. And that's with an established car company. Tesla was founded in 2003 and didn't ship the Roadster till 2008 and that was with Lotus providing most of the car.... $70M from Elon Musk, $50M from Chrysler, and $50M from Toyota didn't hurt either... nor did the $465M from the ATVM.

So, Elio, founded in 2009 on a shoestring budget NOT using an existing manufacturer to build their car, isn't doing too badly. Not bad at all, actually. It is only our impatience that makes it seem like it's taking forever.

Top Bottom