• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Sun Roof

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a friend in high school that removed a couple of windows and their frames from the rear of a wrecked full size van. He then cut holes in his roof to fit them in. Pretty sure they could be removed completely (with removal of a few screws) but it was nice to just open the rear edge for ventilation.

Who's going to try it and tell me if it works?
Go right ahead and try it; let us know how it goes, and include some pictures (inside, outside closed; inside and outside open).
Maybe even a short video of someone operating it.
Oh yeah, sit inside taking a video while you go through a car wash.
Then let us know what it costs to replace the roof panel. :thumb:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure someone will come up with a fixed translucent and tinted panel after they come out.
But as for opening, I really don't see any benefit of having a sunroof.
Taking a panel out will form a nice big air scoop that will let air pocket in the back and give you a really good "booming" noise because it has no where to exhaust out of; put it in a vent position and it wouldn't really do much at all, other then ruin the air flow over the Elio.

I know this because I installed well over a few hundred of them.
So I guess the cost and effort will far out weigh any benefit they would provide.

RonnieB

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I would be happy with a glass type roof that does not open as long as it had a shade so the car does not cook in the sun. I wonder how hard it would be to remove the roof without damage so that it could be placed back in when needed or in the winter. Going down the road at 75mph I would want the roof but putting around town I would say no and the car could stay in the garage at night or when raining.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With the talk above about convertibles and canopies, just in case you had not seen these images.(most have) These were fan (me) created.
The canopy below is a compromise design that allows keeping the driver's door, but requires opening the slider each time. The window still opens but by tilting out/down. The head-rest could also slide back or be replaced with a clear version for passengers.

From the Sketchup warehouse 3d graphics files folder (3d edit requires sketchup : free version)

ElioCanopy.jpg
ElioConvertible.jpg

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With the talk above about convertibles and canopies, just in case you had not seen these images.(most have) These were fan (me) created.
The canopy below is a compromise design that allows keeping the driver's door, but requires opening the slider each time. The window still opens but by tilting out/down. The head-rest could also slide back or be replaced with a clear version for passengers.

From the Sketchup warehouse 3d graphics files folder (3d edit requires sketchup : free version)

View attachment 11499 View attachment 11500
I really wish the wheel covers looked more like your rendering, or Kudos avatar. Way nicer.

Top Bottom