• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Turbo

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I noticed this picture on Facebook from Elio Motors that I haven't seen anywhere else, yet. So here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/ElioMotors...9518003779747/830574907007383/?type=1&theater

10635945_830574907007383_816357211002988284_n.jpg

Maybe a turbo option really isn't that far off?

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but I have always thought a turbo was on the exhaust side and a supercharger was on the input side. Am I wrong?

Yep. It would be bolted to the outlet flange of the exhaust manifold, the exhaust gases spin the impeller and that draws air in from the air cleaner around the compressor side of the turbo (the prominent part you can see in the pic) then that normally goes through a charge air cooler mounted in front of the radiator then force feeds the cool outside air into the intake.

Looking at that pic I honestly think someone was just holding up a turbo they had laying around just as an idea. That configuration doesn't look like it would work at all from this angle. That's the back of the engine and it looks like the turbo would be hanging right where the transmission needs to bolt up.

I am pretty sure a turbo is a lot farther off than this pic leads us to believe.

And a visual aid! :)

turbo-plumbing.gif

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now I am really confused. Is your "Yep" an answer to my question "Am I wrong?"? The turbo is on the intake side in the picture so I don't see how exhaust is spinning it. Or maybe you are agreeing with my statement?

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now I am really confused. Is your "Yep" an answer to my question "Am I wrong?"? The turbo is on the intake side in the picture so I don't see how exhaust is spinning it. Or maybe you are agreeing with my statement?

lol, "yep" was meaning it is on the exhaust side, but turbos are connected to both sides!

You start the engine and the process is pretty much instantaneous. You have to have the exhaust flow through the turbo to spin it, and that in turn suck air in at an increased rate over a normally aspirated engine (air sucked directly into the intake through a filter) and push it into the intake.

When the engine is started, the turbo really isn't doing much of anything, it is basically acting like a normally aspirated engine. It's when you put a load on the engine, you hear that turbo "whine" or "spool up" that's when the magic happens! Lots of air is forced through the intake, coupled with the increased fuel that's where you get the power bonus.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never had a turbo before so I'm still trying to figure out how to properly use it for INCREASING MPGs, rather than using it for speed. I know staying out of boost is a big thing, but does that mean just pussyfooting it everywhere? (I'll be getting an auto, not a stick, so hopefully if a Turbo option eventually does come along, it'll still help increase MPGs in the auto - when used properly)

Top Bottom