• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Weight?

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Anybody know the progression of vehicle weight through the different prototypes. I noted in Paul's speech that P-5 was a welded tube frame and the latest is stamped metal, would think that would reduce weight.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It probably will but it may just increase the strength of the frame as parts needed beefing up from the original design. The stamped steel may be lighter than a tube frame but may not be lighter than the steel tube frame PLUS the necessary braces. They haven't announced a weight goal change yet. I think they are still shooting for their 1,250 lbs.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody know the progression of vehicle weight through the different prototypes. I noted in Paul's speech that P-5 was a welded tube frame and the latest is stamped metal, would think that would reduce weight.
The overall weight? Or the weight balance? (Like 60%/40% Front to rear?)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It probably will but it may just increase the strength of the frame as parts needed beefing up from the original design. The stamped steel may be lighter than a tube frame but may not be lighter than the steel tube frame PLUS the necessary braces. They haven't announced a weight goal change yet. I think they are still shooting for their 1,250 lbs.

For sure, Ty. I'd add that a stamped steel chassis like they created would allow for more predictable crumple zones. A tube frame may be too stiff for certain impacts....IMHO.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Wondering if the stamped steel chassis would reduce the integrity of the "Roll Cage" design.

Hope that Safety is not compromised to try to make a lighter vehicle.
If anything, it should improve over the tube chassis; It will have the same rigidity; it gives you pre-determined and predictable crush zones; and it is lighter. Just because it is lighter doesn't mean it's any less strong.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, did someone here confirm that the "stamped steel body" was a misquote? I'm pretty sure the reporter should have said "stamped frame" or something of the like. Another question. SMC panels... They are basically reinforced plastic (to be simple) like the Fiero or Saturn had, right? I keep hearing people throw around "fiberglass" and I don't think that is used much nor would it be very light.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, did someone here confirm that the "stamped steel body" was a misquote? I'm pretty sure the reporter should have said "stamped frame" or something of the like. Another question. SMC panels... They are basically reinforced plastic (to be simple) like the Fiero or Saturn had, right? I keep hearing people throw around "fiberglass" and I don't think that is used much nor would it be very light.

"Fiberglass" kind of looses its identity among the many composite materials made with glass fiber and epoxies/resins in conjunction with Kevlar and carbon fiber. I think the most practical application right now is a fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP). I think the Saturn was using a fiber reinforced Polyurethane. I could be wrong

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I asked EM Support about it and just got a reply this morning.
This is the one time I've had them answer a question with what I don't consider an answer, here's the question and answer:

Coss

Jul 5, 20:26 EDT

Just had this article posted on our website, and the people are going bonkers; what's going on?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/elio-motors/

------------------
Submitted from: https://www.eliomotors.com/

59c32fde7fc?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2F2016%2Fdefault-avatar-80.png

The Elio Customer Experience Team (Elio Motors)

Jul 8, 08:06 EDT

Good Morning Coss,
Thanks for the email. We will share some insight today in the blog and moving forward over the next couple of weeks.

Make sure to check out our blog at www.eliomotors.com/blog

Thank you,
The Elio Team
********************************************************************************************************************************
That's about as little of an answer I've ever gotten from them; "...We will share some insight today?" ......
So they'll answer it later? And in the future?
I read the link they gave me, but it really doesn't say much of anything too.

<Can you tell I send them a lot of questions? Look at the avatar they assigned me>

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did the author get it wrong because the new frame panels "cover" more vehicle...?
The new frame looks more like a completely integrated "uni-body" shell than the old one.
Even though you would not expect reasonably concise people to misspeak like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom