• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elios Mileage Range Vs Storage

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The Elio has an 8 gallon gas tank with a range over 650 miles, no car I've ever owned had or needed that kind of range. Why not reduce the tank to 4-5 gallons and use that saved space for additional storage?

THE FREEWAY OF THE EARLY 80's HAD SIMILAR ISSUES .
THEY WERE SOLD WITH A STANDARD 6 GALLON TANK AND AN OPTIONAL LONG RANGE 9 GALLON TANK .

THE TROUBLE WAS THAT IT COST THE SAME TO BUY EITHER ONE AND WAS THE SAME WORK TO INSTALL .
IT COST MORE TO STOCK AND TRACK TWO PART NUMBERS .

SO THE COMPANY CLEVERLY OFFERED THE 9 GALLON TANK AS AN OPTION . IF YOU ORDERED IT , YOU PAID EXTRA .
IF YOU DIDN'T ORDER IT , YOU GOT ONE ANYWAY WITHOUT PAYING EXTRA !

SIMILAR ECONOMICS MAY DRIVE ELIO's DECISION TO HAVE JUST ONE KIND OF TANK .
IF THEY OFFER ANOTHER , A LOT OF OTHER PARTS WILL GO ALONG WITH IT AND WE ALL KNOW ,
THIS IS ALL ABOUT KEEPING THE COST DOWN .

View attachment 10579
View attachment 10580
View attachment 10581

I wasn't thinking about an optional tank, just one at 4.5 gallons if it could make that rear trunk deeper.
I've never seen that car, where was it made?

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking about an optional tank, just one at 4.5 gallons if it could make that rear trunk deeper.
I've never seen that car, where was it made?

THE HMV FREEWAY IS A SPIRITUAL ANCESTOR OF THE ELIO .

hqdefault.jpg

THEY WERE MADE IN BURNSVILLE , MN FROM 1979 TO 1982 .
IT WAS SOLD AS A SINGLE SEATER COMMUTER CAR WITH A 100mpg CAPABILITY .

220px-HMVFreeway_med.jpg

IN REALITY IT WAS A POORLY DESIGNED , POORLY ENGINEERED , POORLY MADE
AUTOCYCLE FROM A POORLY RUN COMPANY .
TO TOP IT ALL OFF , THEY WERE EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT THEY WERE .

http://www.3wheelers.com/freeway.html

BUT THE CONCEPT WAS BRILLIANT AND THEY WENT ON TO SELL 700 OF THE CREATURES
BEFORE GOING BUST .

I HAVE OWNED TWO AND ENJOYED DRIVING THEM . NOT MANY ARE LEFT TO BE SURE .

FOR YEARS I HAVE SAID THAT A MODERN VERSION OF THE FREEWAY THAT IS PROPERLY
ENGINEERED & BUILT WOULD BE A GAME CHANGER .
UP UNTIL NOW , THE ELIO IS AS CLOSE AS WE HAVE COME

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I guess the biggest difference is the front wheels, Elio widened the car's stance with separate fenders. I bet the wider stance will really help with stability.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I said back in post #10 of this thread, the tank is below the rear seat and inaccessible from the trunk. The rear wheel is below the trunk. Shrinking the gas tank gains nothing.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I said back in post #10 of this thread, the tank is below the rear seat and inaccessible from the trunk. The rear wheel is below the trunk. Shrinking the gas tank gains nothing.

If reducing the gas tank to 4 gallons gained 1/2 a cubic foot of space, that is enough to shove a pair of shoes and a couple candybars underneath the rear seat.

(I don't know why I chose those specific items, though.)

In reality though, the FRAME runs right under the rear seat, between the tank and the seat, so you'd have to re-engineer the frame to make it work :(

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Sorry, I thought you were speculating. Then what's in the space above the back tire and below the trunk? It seemed to me there was a void there, no?

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If reducing the gas tank to 4 gallons gained 1/2 a cubic foot of space, that is enough to shove a pair of shoes and a couple candybars underneath the rear seat.

(I don't know why I chose those specific items, though.)

In reality though, the FRAME runs right under the rear seat, between the tank and the seat, so you'd have to re-engineer the frame to make it work :(
Right, some changes would be easy and maybe even save some money, but redesigning the frame, most likely not. However a little 12"x12"x6" "smugglers box" under the seat would be helpful.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess the biggest difference is the front wheels, Elio widened the car's stance with separate fenders.
I bet the wider stance will really help with stability.

THE FREEWAY SHELF OVER THE FENDERS IS A BIT ODD BUT THERE ARE PLENTY
OF OTHER DIFFERENCES .

THE ELIO IS A MUCH BIGGER CAR , THE ELIO HAS NO BACK SEAT BUT DOES HAVE STORAGE .
I CAN FIT THREE BAGS OF GROCERIES ON THE FLOOR BEHIND THE DRIVER .

ELIO IS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE , THE ELIO HAS A CHAIN DRIVING THE REAR WHEEL .
ELIO HAS A THREE CYLINDER ENGINE UP FRONT , FREEWAY HAS A MID ENGINE SINGLE CYLINDER .
ELIO IS WATER COOLED , FREEWAY IS AIR COOLED
ELIO HAS AIR , CRUISE , ELECTRIC WINDOWS & AIR BAGS. THE FREEWAY NEVER HEARD OF THOSE THINGS .
ELIO HAS ANTI LOCK DISC BRAKES , FREEWAY HAS E-Z GO GOLFCART DRUMS THAT CAN LOCK DANGEROUSLY .
ELIO HAS A 5 SPEED OR AUTO TRANSMISSION , FREEWAY HAS A BELT DRIVE CVT .
ELIO HAS TWO HEADLIGHTS , FREEWAY HAS ONE ( TO HELP IT GET MOTORCYCLE CLASSIFICATION )
ELIO IS AS LONG AS MOST COMPACT CARS , THE FREEWAY IS A MICROCAR @ 700 POUNDS & 10 FEET LONG .

ELIO HAS ADDRESSED THE SHORTCOMINGS OF THE FREEWAY AND EVEN GONE WAY BEYOND .
I HAVE OFTEN WONDERED IF THE HMV HAD STAYED IN BUSINESS 35 YEARS OF PRODUCTION &
IMPROVEMENTS MIGHT HAVE GIVEN US SOMETHING LIKE THE ELIO .

100_4447.JPG

Top Bottom