• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Cost?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Here I go again. $70 kit = 3 $23.33 oil changes at 6000 miles each = 18,000 Miles. I drive my vehicles about 12k per year. So, I will pay for my oil changes at the local garage and not try to bend my aging body around a small engine. I am going to save enough money to pay for the oil changes.:D
Driving in for Oil and Filter change - $23.33 Brand new Elio - $7,000+ Pulling Elio out of pit - Priceless :pound:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Changing the oil in my Nitro isn't the problem; it's changing the oil filter; it's impossible to get to.
I'm thinking about getting a separate mount oil filter and do the same on the Elio.

Something like this: http://www.autozone.com/external-en...mount-kit-perf/153850_404956_0/?checkfit=true

I think I used that exact same MR GASKET kit about 30 years ago. In less than a hundred miles, the rubber hose sprung a leak. So I replaced the hoses with Russel's stainless steel braided hoses, along with the red and blue fittings (and another $200). Long story-short...It always leaked. The cheap casting that bolted to the oil filter mount would warp in a matter of weeks. I finally decided that I liked it better the old way!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I used that exact same MR GASKET kit about 30 years ago. In less than a hundred miles, the rubber hose sprung a leak. So I replaced the hoses with Russel's stainless steel braided hoses, along with the red and blue fittings (and another $200). Long story-short...It always leaked. The cheap casting that bolted to the oil filter mount would warp in a matter of weeks. I finally decided that I liked it better the old way!
Key words "about 30 years ago" I'm thinking they've made improvements since then.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Key words "about 30 years ago" I'm thinking they've made improvements since then.

LOL, maybe. "Corporate" Improvements usually refer to "the bottom line." When translated, that means: thinner castings, lower cost hoses & fittings and lower grade bolts...well, the bolts were only "grade 2" back then.
But, please feel free to share YOUR experience with the kit. Hopefully they have improved it. :D

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Or not. My old Accu-Gage tire pressure gauge lasted 25 years until it failed last June. Their new offering looks quite similar, but failed after 2 months. It also had a different country of manufacture.

Back to the remote oil filter mounting... I'm taking a wait and see approach. I learned a long time ago not to waste time solving problems I don't have.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My son's Chevy S10 had a remote mount oil filter. The 4 wheel drive transfer case sat right where the oil filter was supposed to go. Made it easy to add an oil cooler when he started pulling a trailer. Do not know if it was factory or an add on. Never had a problem with it.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I ran into that argument when my daughter asked for the Mustang. I told her it was not a good brand for her. She asked, "Well, when was the last time you drove one? Ans: "About 30 years ago." I still don't like the car, but it is working well for her.:yo::car:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My son's Chevy S10 had a remote mount oil filter. The 4 wheel drive transfer case sat right where the oil filter was supposed to go. Made it easy to add an oil cooler when he started pulling a trailer. Do not know if it was factory or an add on. Never had a problem with it.

I too, had a '95 S-10 Blazer 4x4...had the remote filter mount. Mine was "factory". I know this because, I bought replacement rubber lines thru my local GM parts department. Yes, they were leaking too (180k miles/ 18 years old).
To be fair, I know folks with Blazers older than mine and the "remotes"are still good.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score

My old roommate had an S10 and it had a remote filter too.

Top Bottom