• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Swap?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, that original image was morphed out of the Riley XR3. The UFO was the most popular of the concept artwork I created. Unfortunately it wasn't good for a FWD-ICE drive, unless it got a major nose extension. But, it could accommodate RWD or EV power nicely. So instead I went to the Atlantric style, (also popular), for my tooling plug you see in the logo. The Atlantric is both EV and ICE-FWD compatible, as well as it accommodates motorcycle drive in single seat configuration. The Elio is helping me to not feel bad about the fact I can't continue the project for now. I'm hoping next year I can get back on it, but then drop it over an Elio chassis instead of other drive systems I'd contemplated.

I did kind of beat the subject to death in the AltC Designs thread in our Similar Vehicles part of the forum
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/altc-designs.1574/

You got skils AriLea! :)

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ArthurKent, Simply stated, Elio and IAV are not designing and building a high speed sports car but rather a fuel efficient and economic vehicle for the general public.

Correct, though just b/c they deliver me a fuel efficient and economical vehicle doesn't mean that I won't turn it into a sporty and fast vehicle that's also economical by comparison.

As for those tossing around that the IAV motor won't take well to a turbo or boost, keep in mind that the ENTIRE elio cost less than a spare cylinder head for many motors I already tinker with. Will it take boost out of the box, likely not very much, but it won't be so bad to get it ready for more power considering the required low cost of the entire engine platform.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correct, though just b/c they deliver me a fuel efficient and economical vehicle doesn't mean that I won't turn it into a sporty and fast vehicle that's also economical by comparison.

As for those tossing around that the IAV motor won't take well to a turbo or boost, keep in mind that the ENTIRE elio cost less than a spare cylinder head for many motors I already tinker with. Will it take boost out of the box, likely not very much, but it won't be so bad to get it ready for more power considering the required low cost of the entire engine platform.
I think a lot of people on this board are more familiar with the kids that throw a huge turbo on a 200k mile honda or like this Fox body:
[Broken External Image]
Without any upgrades to cooling, rods, pistons, bearings, valves, valve springs, sparkplugs, etc...

And sure, with the low starting cost I'm sure there will be tons of kids buying turbo's off of Amazon or Ebay and doing this without tuning or anything. But that doesn't mean it's impossible to make the elio into a decent performance car. The transaxle will likely be an Aisin whose boxes are all spec'd for up to at least 200hp, with a 1200lb car that means around 6 pounds per HP. Now take my modified 2000 Cougar that makes 177 WHP (Around 200 crank HP) and weighs 2800lbs, that feels sporty with just 16 lbs/HP.

Saying that the IAV will blow up if you try to add more power is true in some respects. The engine will be engineered for the power levels expected, so doubling the output will result in rapid failure. However, by installing stronger internals a skilled engine builder will take the block itself to the limit, then throw it away and figure out a way to drop a bigger or better engine in it. I've said before the 1L Fiesta EcoBoost would be the ideal application for the Elio to become an impressive sports vehicle, 129hp and 143 lb-ft of torque will probably propel it into the 12-13 second quarter mile range, long before this owners will find the car breaks traction on take off, so off come the bike tires and fenders and on go some wide grippy tires.

I've been around car culture long enough to know that if there's a will, and if there's the money, there is a way. Thus it is inevitable that at some point someone will shove an LS1 or Big Block V8 in the elio, it won't look like an elio afterward, but it will happen.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been around car culture long enough to know that if there's a will, and if there's the money, there is a way. Thus it is inevitable that at some point someone will shove an LS1 or Big Block V8 in the elio, it won't look like an elio afterward, but it will happen.
Well, if we're talking racing only, I'd love to drop a 20B-REW in it, but that would need a upgraded tranny. So I'd settle for a 13B Rotary (two rotor) IF it can be mated to the tranny. But I have to agree, the EcoBoost with the Fiesta Tranny would be a good combo. Might, however, need a hood scoop, nose extension or something. I can think of many ways that could go(see image).
There is no current class racing for 2F1R-FWD. But I'm reasonably sure both stock and modified will exist with-in 2 years after start of production.
arak10.jpg
arak11.jpg

McAttk

Reaction score
seeing as they are useing an all aluminum block and head, it is very possible that a turbo would cause excessive stress and start haveing head gasket failures
Use heavier head bolts similar to the ones Ford 6.0 diesels need to keep from lifting the heads.

NOLIKEIT

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, that's an excellent point! The 'payback' time for all the parts to make the Elio a hybrid (motor, controller, battery, etc...), and that's assuming that the conversion actually did increase the mpg and not just make it a tail-heavy part-time AWD, could be a significant period of time. Probably won't stop me from trying it though (can't follow a recipe when I'm cooking either...always gotta jack with it.). Going to retire in a few years, and I'll have plenty of time to tinker with my new 3-wheeled guinea pig.

And just like an experimental guinea pig, when/if it gets botched you can crumple it up and get another one! Lol I love it.

Top Bottom