• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Torque?

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually think the little Suzuki engine was probably the best part of the Geo. This new Elio engine should be pretty fun to play with and it would not surprise me if one of you guys installed one in a Geo just for fun. From what we know the new engine it is detuned for better fuel economy and has been designed with a turbo in mind. Due to it being detuned just by reprograming the ECU it should be possible to boost the power by about 20% which should make for a fun ride.

Lets say hypothetically the car gets made, someone totals it out and I find it in the junkyard, it would be tempting.....This is assuming it bolts up to the trans.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually think the little Suzuki engine was probably the best part of the Geo. This new Elio engine should be pretty fun to play with and it would not surprise me if one of you guys installed one in a Geo just for fun. From what we know the new engine it is detuned for better fuel economy and has been designed with a turbo in mind. Due to it being detuned just by reprograming the ECU it should be possible to boost the power by about 20% which should make for a fun ride.
The quickest way to simple, affordable horsepower is through a new chip. If you're going the turbo route, any kind of boost at all will probably involve a LOT of engine mods, including lower compression pistons, revised intake and exhaust plumbing, and possibly a clutch, transmission, and driveline upgrade. A twenty percent boost in power at this level amounts to about 11 hp, which is doable, but a turbo with a chip reflash would probably involve a good bit of investment.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The quickest way to simple, affordable horsepower is through a new chip. If you're going the turbo route, any kind of boost at all will probably involve a LOT of engine mods, including lower compression pistons, revised intake and exhaust plumbing, and possibly a clutch, transmission, and driveline upgrade. A twenty percent boost in power at this level amounts to about 11 hp, which is doable, but a turbo with a chip reflash would probably involve a good bit of investment.

Oh I agree, I think I just may have have confused you when when I wrote 'boost the power' as I did not mean it literally with turbo boost. I meant you could likely get the 20% or 11 HP from just the ECU upgrade as they have already told us they had the option of 60+ HP from this motor as it is being detuned for maximum fuel economy.

I expect them to eventually offer a choice of several engines with different power ratings all based around the same basic engine block design. I believe with a more advanced dual cam head and a good turbo system, as well as associated upgrades to support all this extra power, they could more than double the output of this motor yet still keep it reliable enough for driving on a daily basis.

At the high end of the engine line-up they could offer a full on 110+ HP high performance motor. This would likely find a lot of buyers even if they sold it as a $5k option. This would make the Elio about as fast or faster than a Ford Fiesta ST yet still be thousands cheaper than the $20K+ those go for.

Last edited:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That sounds like a great option. Maybe a year or so after launch they'll make these available. A factory offering would avoid warranty problems that any shade-tree approach would probably cause. From the looks of the mock-up, the crossflow head and large, well-formed manifolds look like a good start.

Looking at the exhaust system that seems only visible on the P1 video, there's room for at least cosmetic improvement. The muffler seems to be located just behind the front wheel, with a short, turndown stub that exits under the car about where your knees would be. Inexpensive and efficient maybe, but that prototype looked like it had borrowed the exhaust system from a Renault Dauphine, and hanging in plain sight was a real sore thumb alongside the otherwise attractive styling. I'm sure that's improved, and according to the suppliers page on the website, the providers of the exhaust will offer options in stainless steel. I'd kinda like to take advantage of that lack of a door on the right side and see an upswept chrome pipe that parallels the body's shadow line appearing at about the "B" pillar line and turning upward for a couple of feet at a shallow angle.

I'm not interested in anything loud (although it could be offered with a removable core like those on a Harley). Pretentious exhaust systems on a buzzy little 3-cylinder, particularly with an automatic, are going to sound like most ricers with their fart-can exhausts. Nope, something quiet and nice looking for me. ;)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the exhaust system that seems only visible on the P1 video, there's room for at least cosmetic improvement. The muffler seems to be located just behind the front wheel, with a short, turndown stub that exits under the car about where your knees would be. Inexpensive and efficient maybe, but that prototype looked like it had borrowed the exhaust system from a Renault Dauphine, and hanging in plain sight was a real sore thumb alongside the otherwise attractive styling. I'm sure that's improved, and according to the suppliers page on the website, the providers of the exhaust will offer options in stainless steel. I'd kinda like to take advantage of that lack of a door on the right side and see an upswept chrome pipe that parallels the body's shadow line appearing at about the "B" pillar line and turning upward for a couple of feet at a shallow angle.
I'm not interested in anything loud (although it could be offered with a removable core like those on a Harley). Pretentious exhaust systems on a buzzy little 3-cylinder, particularly with an automatic, are going to sound like most ricers with their fart-can exhausts. Nope, something quiet and nice looking for me. ;)

It is my understanding that the current exhaust is just temporary for the prototype and will change before production. I am not sure what changes they are going to make to protect it better but apparently it does need some help as the P4 recently had its exhaust accidentally torn off in New York City by the Fox and Friends hosts who took it for an unplanned ride and ran over a raised manhole cover.

I also can't stand obnoxiously loud exhausts on any vehicle but luckily as this is a mass market vehicle I am sure the factory exhaust will be fairly quiet.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the current exhaust is just temporary for the prototype and will change before production. I am not sure what changes they are going to make to protect it better but apparently it does need some help as the P4 recently had its exhaust accidentally torn off in New York City by the Fox and Friends hosts who took it for an unplanned ride and ran over a raised manhole cover.

I also can't stand obnoxiously loud exhausts on any vehicle but luckily as this is a mass market vehicle I am sure the factory exhaust will be fairly quiet.
Where do you find information like this? I didn't know the Fox people broke the P4!

Top Bottom