• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust Sound

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Motorcycles in the 800cc range can get a nice little rumble going. Don't see why an Elio can't do something better than sound like a sewing machine... just sayin
The frequency produced by the engine firing is a product of bore diameter with some effect by stroke. If the primary wave resonance produced by the engine is 500 hertz for example, it will STAY 500 hertz. You can send it through a bigger pipe, add or eliminate muffler baffeling, or stick a coffee can on the tail-pipe, and the ffrequency will NOT change. You CAN try various techniques to attenuate higher frequencies, but that does not mean they will be replaced by lower frequencies. I suppose one could devise some system that would pump air through the exhaust system, speeding up the airflow and taking advantage of the doppler effect to reduce the relative frequency......but i'm not sure how practical that is. The most practical way I can see to make a small engine SOUND bigger would be to muffle the REAL sound a lot and use an audio system to simulate whatever engine you want. Seems goofy I know, but the end result is what you wanted.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The frequency produced by the engine firing is a product of bore diameter with some effect by stroke. If the primary wave resonance produced by the engine is 500 hertz for example, it will STAY 500 hertz. You can send it through a bigger pipe, add or eliminate muffler baffeling, or stick a coffee can on the tail-pipe, and the ffrequency will NOT change. You CAN try various techniques to attenuate higher frequencies, but that does not mean they will be replaced by lower frequencies. I suppose one could devise some system that would pump air through the exhaust system, speeding up the airflow and taking advantage of the doppler effect to reduce the relative frequency......but i'm not sure how practical that is. The most practical way I can see to make a small engine SOUND bigger would be to muffle the REAL sound a lot and use an audio system to simulate whatever engine you want. Seems goofy I know, but the end result is what you wanted.
To get crazy totally crazy about it. there are actually two major sounds. One is the pulse rate, as you said. The other is the interaction of the individual 'blasts' to the harmonics of the pipes. The ringing if you will. The final length of pipe has the biggest effect, so long as any sound is left to cause ringing. Of course then there is the effect of turbulent air, the 'white noise part'. But that is getting very detailed indeed.

All those sounds make up the quality of the experience. I still say a Merlyn engine (p51 Mustang) is the best sound ever. Of course that one does have some external Super-Charger noise not coming though any exhaust.

I found that a peripheral port rotary had the worst 'blast' sound ever, very screechy and shrill. It was best when only the white-noise was left, if even in 'puffs'.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I used to attend a lot of oil industry trade shows to support my clients - but I saw a lot of surprises too. Several years ago in Lafayette, LA, walking the outdoor part of a local show, I saw a hulking black motorcycle. . . and while my back was turned, somebody hit the starter.

The rising wail got the attention of everyone on the exhibit grounds. When the fuel tap was opened the barely muffled roar drowned the compressor whine . . . MTT's Y2K Turbo Superbike had come to play.

[Broken External Image]

Talk about a visceral experience! It's probably the most impractical motorcycle ever built, by a bunch of guys who re-purpose old helicopter engines for marine duty, but you gotta admit, on a motorcycle, it turns heads. Typical of a turboshaft, power comes on smoothly, producing a log curve of acceleration. Then there's the sound and fury coming from the exhaust. Anything you can't beat from a stoplight, you can incinerate at the next as Jet-A is converted into an ankle-high fire tornado.

A couple of highlights: Rolls/Allison turboshaft producing 320 shaft hp, 298 ft-lb torque through a 2-speed semi-auto transmission, and an exhaust gas temperature that would shame a small dragon. Will it go? Well like the Boss Hoss, top speed is determined by the size of the rider's cojones. Think well over 200 here. Top speed is generally determined by how long you can hold on.

wile-e-coyote.jpg

Top Bottom