• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exterior Body Options

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not really---think that is the lip of the hatch to access storage area---but you can call it a spoiler if you like! RB

Darrell

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Would it be worth it aerodynamically to add a belly pan in spite of the extra weight and cost? It might also shield the steel frame somewhat from corrosion, the only body part to worry about.

drift

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I believe if they are intent on achieving 84 mpg a belly pan is needed. these days of improved aerodynamics the most drag on vehicles such as the elio is underneath. using the right material the weight would be small and given in a prior presentation EM stated the cost of the body panels was @ $225 a belly pan shouldn't be very expensive. worth the cost.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
The body shell of the Elio costs under $300 and is light enough to be lifted by one person according to one document I found at some point. As such, this wouldn't add much cost, nor much weight - it's not like it would be steel.

[edit] As I was typing drift did his post, a little more specific.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe if they are intent on achieving 84 mpg a belly pan is needed. these days of improved aerodynamics the most drag on vehicles such as the elio is underneath. using the right material the weight would be small and given in a prior presentation EM stated the cost of the body panels was @ $225 a belly pan shouldn't be very expensive. worth the cost.
I don't know about the aerodynamics aspect but I do know it is easier to keep the underpinnings clean if they are protected. I hope they have one although the prototype apparently does not.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I expect that the production unit will have a belly pan. I also expect that the computer simulations for aerodynamics include a belly pan. I can understand not putting one on the prototypes that don't have the production drive train. What would be the point other than for pure illustration. My vote is they use the money that would be spent in producing one-off belly pans for prototypes for R&D for the end product. Just my .02 worth.

SSpiffy

Elio Fan
Reaction score
The underside of the P3 was pretty much dead flat from the firewall back to the rear wheel opening. I thought I had taken a photo, but just looked and if I did, I deleted it. There will have to be some sort of opening under the engine to allow for air flow through the radiator someplace to go. It's quite likely that the underhood area can get some aero cleanup, but it can't be sealed.

Top Bottom