• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fiberglass?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts present themselves with the "new" colors: First, I may want to re-think the "Creamsicle" option - that looks like my much-loved Honda 175, a sort of metallic orange that has depth and shimmer. Very nice indeed. I wonder what's happening as the other colors mature toward production . . . if the colors will look as improved as the Creamsicle, we may need to see the whole thing "in steel" (or fiberglass) before making our final color selection. Photos can lie, and paint chips often don't represent what the color will actually look like on the car.

Second, fiberglass is a fine material for construction, but needs both woven mat for strength and random chopped strands are used as "filler" to bulk up critical areas for strength. Since the frame is going to provide the stiffness, it looks like the molded fiberglass won't need to provide much mechanical strength, except to support critical areas like hinges and latches. For the Elio, this process can be highly automated as the product is formed in a mold and a vacuum formed in a press.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Kind of" on topic question about CF...you guys that have worked with it: Does long term exposure to sunlight affect the surface finish or strength?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes it must be coated with a UV blocking coating, either clear or colored. This is to protect the epoxy or polyester resin.
I've seen signage with additives that make the paint reflective. Is this a possibility for Auto Paint as well where you could do away with the reflectors altogether? Plus it would add see-ability for those drivers who aren't used to a smaller width vehicle.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've seen signage with additives that make the paint reflective. Is this a possibility for Auto Paint as well where you could do away with the reflectors altogether? Plus it would add see-ability for those drivers who aren't used to a smaller width vehicle.
Alternatively, one could try that water chroming technique on the dark plastic portion of the wheel covers and the rear valence cover. That would certainly make it reflective and make the width of the vehicle much more apparent. And you wouldn't have to treat the whole car to improve visibility.

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Alternatively, one could try that water chroming technique on the dark plastic portion of the wheel covers and the rear valence cover. That would certainly make it reflective and make the width of the vehicle much more apparent. And you wouldn't have to treat the whole car to improve visibility.
Might do the whole thing. Anyone else want a chrome Elio?

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score

If you want to be visible, you'd be better off with reflective tape, or possibly glow in the dark paint.

Have you tried getting a scratch out of chrome? I haven't, but it certainly doesn't look like a fun process.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know how much the equipment and supplies are to have a spray chrome system? You're going to spend anywhere from $8K to almost $20K just to get started; refills are $1K minimum, average is more like $2,700; plus you have to have a dust free area (aka spray booth) to work in.
I saw it on TV and it does look very real; and getting anything chrome plated any more is dam near impossible and if you can find a place with an opening to take your parts in , the cost is unreal; this is all thanks to the EPA and rules on toxic chemicals.

The spray system; here's the best way to describe it

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/equipment.html

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you want to be visible, you'd be better off with reflective tape, or possibly glow in the dark paint.

Have you tried getting a scratch out of chrome? I haven't, but it certainly doesn't look like a fun process.

Do you know how much the equipment and supplies are to have a spray chrome system? You're going to spend anywhere from $8K to almost $20K just to get started; refills are $1K minimum, average is more like $2,700; plus you have to have a dust free area (aka spray booth) to work in.
I saw it on TV and it does look very real; and getting anything chrome plated any more is dam near impossible and if you can find a place with an opening to take your parts in , the cost is unreal; this is all thanks to the EPA and rules on toxic chemicals.

The spray system; here's the best way to describe it

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/equipment.html
Probably should've put a ;) after that remark. Sorry guys....:doh:

Top Bottom