• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

For Us Aircraft Fans - F-15 Amazing Landing

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was still working on F-14's in the Navy when that happened, but I've got around 23 yrs on F-15's now. She's a pretty tough bird for sure! :)
But all credit goes to the pilot for keeping his cool and getting it to the ground in one piece...more or less.
Looking at the damage. With a little NDI on the wing lugs to make sure they didn't crack, you could slap a new r/h wing on there and have her back in the air within a couple of days. The aircrew seat cushions were probably a total loss.;):D

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I used to wring out one of these little 7ACA Champs over the Ozarks, with a 60 hp Franklin 2 cylinder engine. Thank goodness we never lost a wing....it was bad enough if we lost a cylinder....no starter, no electric system...had to dive it to get it up to 100mph for a loop......

[Broken External Image]

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It happened a couple of times to the F-4, and aircraft known to have all the aerodynamic characteristics of a brick in flight. In our case, a Phantom was launched off the deck with the wings unlocked - and on departure, looked like this:
attachment.php?attachmentid=4294.jpg

Dropping external stores, the pilot managed to make it to a bingo field at Sigonella where a couple days inspection and repair returned the aircraft to flight status and he and his RIO flew back to the carrier. Upon his return, the pilot in a very solemn ceremony was presented a pair of gold pilot's wings - hacksawed and bent upward.

Top Bottom