• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just like the Microbus I seen at the LA auto show back in 2010. It was "production ready" and to be built in the new plant in Chattanooga and on the road in 2012. It was even going to be a TDI. That's what the rep told me at the show and there were some articles about it. It was like the Elio, the delays kept coming and it never got built. So, I put little if any faith when a manufacturer has a concept and then claims it's production ready. What they do, is to gauge public interest. If it gets enough, they will make it. If it doesn't then they come up with some lame excuse or just ignore it like it never happened. In all honesty, I could never see VW selling that. They have enough of a sales problem with anything that is not an SUV, last thing they need is something that sells even worse than half of their current product line.

Also, the press gets giddy about things like the GX and that never equates into sales. They take the stance, if we get super excited about something and act like everyone want's it, the manufacturers will do it. Best example are manual transmissions. They are all on a mission as to why we must have manuals yet people don't want them thus manufacturers just give up offering them. Remember when Buick started offering the manual two years ago. The press acted like it was a major turn and they won the battle and everyone was going to have to offer manuals again. After Buick sold about 400 of them in a year, they dropped it.

Just like the Microbus. I think everyone would own one because that's what I'd buy. In the end, it's SUV's that rule and no matter what I do, that's not going to change. VW knew too and thus why it never got to production.
Perhaps potential investors sense and share that philosopy, “I think everyone would own one because that’s what I’d buy.” The VW GX3 was a motorcycle classed vehicle and considered a supplement to the family vehicle (SUV), just like all the other three wheeler concepts.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps potential investors sense and share that philosopy, “I think everyone would own one because that’s what I’d buy.” The VW GX3 was a motorcycle classed vehicle and considered a supplement to the family vehicle (SUV), just like all the other three wheeler concepts.
When your investors are people laying down $100 - $1000 reservations, then you are correct. When investors are looking at much larger numbers, then it's a different story. They want a big return on their investment, the crowdfunded people don't get a return on their investment financially, they get it emotionally. This is why crowdfunding has run it's course. It opened up the untapped market of people that invest in what they would buy and did it with a small amount and an incentive (i.e. be the first to get the widget and at a discount). It can work for a $200 widget that can be cranked out in China then shipped right to your house with UPS or FedEx. As for more expensive items that are way more complex and much harder to get to you, those days have passed.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Myth Busters: Elio Motors Edition
January 18, 2019

Happy Friday Elio’ers! This is a bittersweet time of year for football fans. On the one hand, the college football season is over and it’s a long wait until the games begin again in August. Also, depending on your rooting interests, the National Championship game was a bit of a dud. On the other hand, this Sunday features the NFL’s final four and then we’re off to the Super Bowl! Here’s to an enjoyable Sunday of watching football.

Speaking of watching TV, have you ever seen the show Myth Busters? If not, the show takes a myth and then tests out that myth. For example, there is a photo of two men playing tennis on the wings of an airborne plane. Instead of taking the photo at face value, Myth Busters tried it for themselves. In the past, we’ve done our own version of Myth Busters with three-wheeled vehicles. Today, we’re going to bust some myths about the Elio!

Myth- 84 MPG on the highway is impossible
We often hear skepticism about our mileage goals, which we do not get offended by, but instead, we welcome the conversation! Our ultra-high mileage is possible due to a couple of factors. First, it’s all about aerodynamics, which is the basis for the sleek design of the Elio. Every detail, from the roof to the wheel fairings, is designed to enhance gas mileage as much as possible. Also, our front-to-back seating design dramatically improves gas mileage. Most of your gas is used to move air, and since the Elio is half as wide as most vehicles, you are moving half as much air. The result- a targeted 84 HWY MPG!

Myth- The low base price is unattainable
Again, this is a topic that encourages some interesting discussion. We are able to offer such a low base price for a variety of reasons, both big and small. For starters, since the Elio only has 1 door and 2 seats, we are able to cut costs right off the bat. Less material costs less. Secondly, we are using off-the-shelf components, which allows us to save on research and development, and these savings are passed on to Elio Motors customers. We even made small engineering decisions to cut costs, like the hood latches. While small, the savings add up and allow us to offer a great targeted price.

Myth- the Elio is unsafe
The Elio may be smaller than a tank, but that doesn’t mean it’s unsafe. The vehicle offers the Elio Motors Safety Management System, which includes three airbags, seat belts, a unibody frame, and Anti-lock Braking System. We’ve designed the Elio with safety as the number one priority. Myth= Busted.
Thanks for your support and have an enjoyable weekend!

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Myth Busters: Elio Motors Edition
January 18, 2019

Happy Friday Elio’ers! This is a bittersweet time of year for football fans. On the one hand, the college football season is over and it’s a long wait until the games begin again in August. Also, depending on your rooting interests, the National Championship game was a bit of a dud. On the other hand, this Sunday features the NFL’s final four and then we’re off to the Super Bowl! Here’s to an enjoyable Sunday of watching football.

Speaking of watching TV, have you ever seen the show Myth Busters? If not, the show takes a myth and then tests out that myth. For example, there is a photo of two men playing tennis on the wings of an airborne plane. Instead of taking the photo at face value, Myth Busters tried it for themselves. In the past, we’ve done our own version of Myth Busters with three-wheeled vehicles. Today, we’re going to bust some myths about the Elio!

Myth- 84 MPG on the highway is impossible
We often hear skepticism about our mileage goals, which we do not get offended by, but instead, we welcome the conversation! Our ultra-high mileage is possible due to a couple of factors. First, it’s all about aerodynamics, which is the basis for the sleek design of the Elio. Every detail, from the roof to the wheel fairings, is designed to enhance gas mileage as much as possible. Also, our front-to-back seating design dramatically improves gas mileage. Most of your gas is used to move air, and since the Elio is half as wide as most vehicles, you are moving half as much air. The result- a targeted 84 HWY MPG!

Myth- The low base price is unattainable
Again, this is a topic that encourages some interesting discussion. We are able to offer such a low base price for a variety of reasons, both big and small. For starters, since the Elio only has 1 door and 2 seats, we are able to cut costs right off the bat. Less material costs less. Secondly, we are using off-the-shelf components, which allows us to save on research and development, and these savings are passed on to Elio Motors customers. We even made small engineering decisions to cut costs, like the hood latches. While small, the savings add up and allow us to offer a great targeted price.

Myth- the Elio is unsafe
The Elio may be smaller than a tank, but that doesn’t mean it’s unsafe. The vehicle offers the Elio Motors Safety Management System, which includes three airbags, seat belts, a unibody frame, and Anti-lock Braking System. We’ve designed the Elio with safety as the number one priority. Myth= Busted.
Thanks for your support and have an enjoyable weekend!
I really like this- "targeted 84 mpg", "targeted base price", "designed with safety as priority", etc. Busted??? These are all just forward looking statements and will remain as "myths" without a fully tested pre-production unit that has been to the tracks, weight finalized, "engine" in place, crash tested, etc. It's more convincing when they can "show" what they can do than "telling" us what they can do!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really like this- "targeted 84 mpg", "targeted base price", "designed with safety as priority", etc. Busted??? These are all just forward looking statements and will remain as "myths" without a fully tested pre-production unit that has been to the tracks, weight finalized, "engine" in place, crash tested, etc. It's more convincing when they can "show" what they can do than "telling" us what they can do!
They are all targeted specs, production, and or delivery dates, until there is one setting in our garage. :) Test drives and deliveries to a few early adopter cash customers does help to confirm the belief that it will actually happen.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At least they busted the Myth on the fuel mileage. With result of a targeted 84mpg, that's good news because Elio can reach it.
Heck, I'll be very happy if they can show a completed ELIO with an "engine" in it! Let's start with that first shall we, then we'll talk about what it can achieve mpg wise. ;)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are all targeted specs, production, and or delivery dates, until there is one setting in our garage. :) Test drives and deliveries to a few early adopter cash customers does help to confirm the belief that it will actually happen.
....then we can start talking about busting those myths! lol

Top Bottom