• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday's The Big Day ... Or Is It?

How long will the engine run during the official "first start" ceremony?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking about a won't start vote just for fun, but thought it might jinx the big day as Paul Elio says, " I thought you gased it!" Jerome's reply, "Holy crap, I thought you gased it!"

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the poll is up to 61 responses ... and nobody thinks it won't start. The 15-30 minutes bracket is underpopulated; I thought that would be the most popular slot. Can't wait til Friday to see who wins! (We all do if the day is a success).

Nah, that's why I voted 5 minutes. It's just a show. Maybe, they'll leave it run for the whole presentation, if they have a nice quiet exhaust hooked to it so it doesn't detract from the speaking portion. If it were me, I'd have something with a bit of a growl hooked to it though, to give the impression of toughness and power. Impressions are what it's all about at an event like this.

My guess is we'll see a minute or less of actual run time. Remember, it's a YouTube quick clip world out there these days.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nah, that's why I voted 5 minutes. It's just a show. Maybe, they'll leave it run for the whole presentation, if they have a nice quiet exhaust hooked to it so it doesn't detract from the speaking portion. If it were me, I'd have something with a bit of a growl hooked to it though, to give the impression of toughness and power. Impressions are what it's all about at an event like this.

My guess is we'll see a minute or less of actual run time. Remember, it's a YouTube quick clip world out there these days.
I'm sorry. What did you say?
I only got to about 'If it were me' before I got distracted.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Assuming the "official first start" ceremony actually takes place , you can bet the engine has been running flawlessly for weeks .
It would be akin to suicide if anything goes clunk .
Does anyone else think that $240 Million is an excessive amount just to begin production ? I'm no automotive manufacturing expert , but it seems to me they could at least begin to build with far less . Once the Elio is seen on the streets and demand begins to skyrocket , additional funding should be easier to glean .
C'mon , Tucker built 51 cars and the hideous clown car, Corbin Sparrow . was 300 strong .

View attachment 4641
It takes an amount of time to receive all payments such that bills can be covered, so they have to cover the costs of all parts through the full order of 1 year, since that maybe up front, and all the other things you can think of.

Honestly, I think they could parse the parts order payment to COD for each weekly shipment and not need as much money up front.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
??How long will the engine run during the official "first start" ceremony???

You know if it was me, I'd have started the engine 1 hour+ ago, but surprise everyone and show a video of that, then while people are just starting to process THAT move, I'd roll out the engine while it's still running.
I'd probably be forgiven for not actually starting it live, having shown it still running nicely after 1 hour or more. And then I'd pull the muffler off and gun it a bit just for effect. Get a close up of the RPM gage etc etc.

But I'm a creative innovator ( sneaky hacker ) :cool:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
??How long will the engine run during the official "first start" ceremony???

You know if it was me, I'd have started the engine 1 hour+ ago, but surprise everyone and show a video of that, then while people are just starting to process THAT move, I'd roll out the engine while it's still running.
I'd probably be forgiven for not actually starting it live, having shown it still running nicely after 1 hour or more. And then I'd pull the muffler off and gun it a bit just for effect. Get a close up of the RPM gage etc etc.

But I'm a creative innovator ( sneaky hacker ) :cool:
I'd start it up during the show, pull back the curtain and reveal the Blue P5/production version with a running engine in it. Then, I'd say, "You know, we ended up hitting our MPG goal plus about 2. But, we also hit 65 HP." And then, I'd gass it and spin rubber right there on the stage. LOL

ThreeWheelBurnin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd start it up during the show, pull back the curtain and reveal the Blue P5/production version with a running engine in it. Then, I'd say, "You know, we ended up hitting our MPG goal plus about 2. But, we also hit 65 HP." And then, I'd gass it and spin rubber right there on the stage. LOL
I like the way you think.:D

Top Bottom