• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

From The Left Coast

fjm03

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow left coaster.

I'll have to find you later and ask why in the world would you want a CVT for (That's for an entirely different category)

Prohibitive cost and development delays will doom this tranny in an Elio but it would be almost perfect for this vehicle.
I operate a Vespa 300ie and a Honda CRV. Both have CVT's and both engines operate over similar rpm ranges to the Elio. The Vespa tranny is clutch/flyweight operated and the Honda is electronically controlled. The CVT in the Vespa is only responsive to rpm while the Honda unit is integrated into the power train. Both deliver gobs of torque at low vehicle speed and the integrated Honda unit delivers seamless power application with extraordinarily high mileage at moderate highway speeds (38mpg @ 1700 rpm @ 62mph in my 2015 CRV).

Elio would have to design the tranny and incorporate at least 2 computers into the vehicle's drive-train. Probably would add about 30% to the cost of the vehicle, defeating one of its primary goals. No longer a vehicle for the masses (Volkswagen).

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
CVT are the scourge of the automotive industry; they rob so much power to the wheels it should be outlawed. If you want a comparison look at Nissians and Infinities, the use the same motors but the power at the rear wheels (or front if it's FWD <for the nit pickers>) and it's almost a 30% drop. CVT's are not anywhere as efficient as geared. (I'll step back as the floodgates of those believing otherwise voice their opinions) :eek:

Top Bottom