• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fuel Consumption Cost Of Open Fenders

Sniffy

Elio Fan
Reaction score
New poster here. I really like the look of the open wheel fenders, but I wonder what the price to pay will be for the privilege, in terms of miles per gallon. It seems that the stock fenders would contribute significantly to the overall fuel efficiency, the open fenders less so.

Any ideas?

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New poster here. I really like the look of the open wheel fenders, but I wonder what the price to pay will be for the privilege, in terms of miles per gallon. It seems that the stock fenders would contribute significantly to the overall fuel efficiency, the open fenders less so.

Any ideas?
Welcome Sniffy.
The faster you go the more wind resistance matters. Going fenderless around town, no biggie. Going fenderless at 65mph, noticeable difference.
If i get some sporty aftermarket rims, then going fenderless around town in good weather may be the hot rod cool thing to do.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Sniffy.
The faster you go the more wind resistance matters. Going fenderless around town, no biggie. Going fenderless at 65mph, noticeable difference.
If i get some sporty aftermarket rims, then going fenderless around town in good weather may be the hot rod cool thing to do.
Check your local laws before you do. In WA state you must have some type of cover that extends to cover the entire tread area; both cars and bikes.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With as easy as it would be to switch fenders, I like the idea of having both. I think I read somewhere that if you order the retro fenders, you get both sets. I think I would like the looks of the retro motorcycle fenders with a set of wire spoke wheels up front. I am looking at that option for my rocket silver manual. The longer I wait, the more options I want. By the time it is up to the $500 all in orders, I may have the automatic in the convertible with the turbo.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I had friends that drove crazy fenderless hot rods here. All they got were speeding and exhibition tickets.
In fair weather and sane driving, fenderless should not be an issue. I would be willing to risk a fix it ticket.
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=27600.
As you said ".....there...." CA has a different set of car rules than other places.
I'll stick with: check with your local law enforcement and see what they say.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With as easy as it would be to switch fenders, I like the idea of having both. I think I read somewhere that if you order the retro fenders, you get both sets. I think I would like the looks of the retro motorcycle fenders with a set of wire spoke wheels up front. I am looking at that option for my rocket silver manual. The longer I wait, the more options I want. By the time it is up to the $500 all in orders, I may have the automatic in the convertible with the turbo.

Great minds think alike. A couple of years ago I figured I wanted a silver Elio with the roadster finders and chrome spoke wheels (and that great looking rounded rear end). Then they went and changed the whole look of the car to a shark nosed critter with a square butt. Now I'll just order a plain white one with an auto.... oh, well....

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To answer the original question. Three or four years ago Elio made the biggest design change in pursuit of aerodynamic efficiency. That was the body design change from the open fenders, bug eyed headlights and rounded backside of the P3 to the enclosed wheel pants, faired headlights and squared Kamm rear of the P4. IIRC those changes brought about 8 mpg improvement in gas mileage. I would guess changing to the open fenders would probably net about half that.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Any ideas?
First, Welcome!
I'll guess 2 MPG.
You may say why all that work for just 2 mpg? Well, look at it this way. Say your goal is 84 mpg, but the best you can do is 79 mpg with the open fenders and wide tires. Then 2 mpg is a big chunk of what you need, so you go to the trouble of special tires and enclosed fenders.

Top Bottom