• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Function & Cost Of Amt Vs Manual: Interesting...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
WilliamH.....
.. well as we get older (baby boomers) we'll all get leg cramps!!!
Hence, my boosting of CVT in previous post.
I can agree with that; good fix for it is orange juice or magnesium tablets (I take 250mg and it works great)

As for the CVT I would rather sit at home then have to drive a vehicle with a CVT; I can't stand them.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've dealt with CVTs in Polaris Rangers and Kawasaki Mules.
And now that I think about it, that's what's in snowmobiles.
I don't like them and would consider CVT a disqualification if I was selecting a vehicle.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've dealt with CVTs in Polaris Rangers and Kawasaki Mules.
And now that I think about it, that's what's in snowmobiles.
I don't like them and would consider CVT a disqualification if I was selecting a vehicle.
When I was stationed in Italy I bought a used Volvo with a CVT. It was OK in town but just couldn't survive the autostrada speeds. Would not want another one.

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My two cents. Modern automatics, especially those dual clutch automatics are superior to all other transmissions when put together right. Which equates to expensive! The Smart Fortwo uses that transmission design a la cheep, boy does it shift awful. Ford i using them too, ask any 2012 Ford Focus owner what they think about it, just be careful you might get hit by expressive body parts (people become quite animated describing the jerkiness).

Given the price of an Elio I hope the Automatic is a traditional style transmission with a torque converted, bands and valves. No CVTs either. That would be the best shot at a quality transmission, while not the most efficient, definitely the highest quality per dollar ratio.

With that said, my personal preference when mated with a small displacement motor is a good old manually shifting transmission. I rather pick my gears to keep the engine in it's sweet spot than have an automatic up shifting and down shifting continuously, Because unlike your car, you can read the road ahead of you and hold a gear if for example an uphill road levels out for a few yards often on a long ascend. You can also better maintain speed on a long descend without constantly hitting your brakes and heating them, which could be dangerous.

Unless of coarse you are a city only driver, then that automatic may be better than continuously shifting. Me I don't mind the shifting, as a cyclist I have strong legs.

Darn, all that to say it just depends where you drive and your preference. Sorry!

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My two cents. Modern automatics, especially those dual clutch automatics are superior to all other transmissions when put together right. Which equates to expensive! The Smart Fortwo uses that transmission design a la cheep, boy does it shift awful. Ford i using them too, ask any 2012 Ford Focus owner what they think about it, just be careful you might get hit by expressive body parts (people become quite animated describing the jerkiness).

Given the price of an Elio I hope the Automatic is a traditional style transmission with a torque converted, bands and valves. No CVTs either. That would be the best shot at a quality transmission, while not the most efficient, definitely the highest quality per dollar ratio.

With that said, my personal preference when mated with a small displacement motor is a good old manually shifting transmission. I rather pick my gears to keep the engine in it's sweet spot than have an automatic up shifting and down shifting continuously, Because unlike your car, you can read the road ahead of you and hold a gear if for example an uphill road levels out for a few yards often on a long ascend. You can also better maintain speed on a long descend without constantly hitting your brakes and heating them, which could be dangerous.

Unless of coarse you are a city only driver, then that automatic may be better than continuously shifting. Me I don't mind the shifting, as a cyclist I have strong legs.

Darn, all that to say it just depends where you drive and your preference. Sorry!
As a cyclist, you may very well be good at "reading the road", but you may not realize part of this read is the feeling not the visual. The perception is totally different in a powered vehicle and the read is often wrong. The vehicle can read better than 99% of people. And it will also read the head/tail wind. In short, I do not agree and neither do the mpg results support your conclusions. Cruise control will out do all but the best driver.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

that most certainly is the bottom line .... each person's choice is important to them and it really doesn't matter what is important to anyone else .... for us, if an AMT and cruise control weren't an option, we wouldn't spend a penny to buy an Elio .... being able to use a straight drive isn't an issue, been there done that several times, never want to do so again

Top Bottom