• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Gallons Of Fuel Saved Annually?

How many gallons of fuel are you targeting to save annually by driving an Elio?

• Total voters

DJL

Elio Fan
Reaction score
How many gallons of fuel are you targeting to save annually?

I'm acquiring an Elio as an "AND" vehicle for use in my daily commute and whenever else possible.

Current vehicle = ~17 mpg
Current vehicle will consume 706 gallons of fuel over 12,000 miles annually.

Estimating driving 12,000/yr and using the Elio for 75% of those miles:

Elio rated at 49mpg city/84 mpg highway:
Most of my driving will be highway so for the purpose of this calculation I'll use 70 mpg for the Elio.
Targeting using the Elio for 75% (9,000/yr)of the annual miles (12,000), I'm targeting saving ~400 gallons of fuel annually.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had to whip out the calculator function on the 'puter:

84 mile round trip x 6 days a week (average 600 hrs of overtime per year) @ 18 mpg [diesel] = 1456 gallons per year.
With an Elio, assuming 84mpg, I'd be using 312 gallons per year over the same distance with a fuel usage drop of 1144 gallons per year.
I'm literally all highway from within 1/2 mile of my house, to where I-170 dumps into Boeings east parking lot.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
before I retired and was driving 140 miles a day round trip to work, it would have saved us a bundle .... being retired, it may well cost us some fuel because I fully expect to get out of the house a good deal more and drive it just for the fun ...it my save some on taking it to town to shop but in the scheme of things I anticipate that savings to be pretty small ....

Last edited:

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
38 miles one way to work, 76 miles a day X 5 days a week = 380.
trip to parents every Saturday = 90 mile round trip = 470 miles a week + Sunday driving so average 500 miles a week.
Dodge truck gets around 18 mpg. = 28 gallons a week. X 52 = 1456 in truck for a year.
if the Elio averages 80 mpg, most of my drivng is interstate, and almost all of the driving can be with the Elio.
500 / 80= 6.25 X 52 = 325 . 1456 - 325 = 1,131 estimated gallons saved in a year. Not including fun time driving like the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Grandpa Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway etc..

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
One thing that I'm undecided yet: driving the Elio on a 300-mile-one-way trip for two people. I live in a rural area, 60 mi. to the nearest Wal-Mart for pete's sake... so when we drive a long distance, we do some serious shopping usually. Two people, and lots of items to get... the Elio as-is just won't work.

I know it's easy to say now, hey we'll get a hitch and trailer, hey we'll get a carrier to fit on top. I dunno, will just have to wait and see.

Again for my specific situation, I drive many miles each winter to broadcast high school basketball games on our local radio station, Dec - Feb. The man I broadcast with is the local station manager, and he goes about 5'10" 320+. So I'd have to ride in back and he'd have to drive. The small trunk might not be big enough to hold the broadcast equipment, coats, etc. Hmm, probably not. :D

So I'm not really sure how many gallons I'll save each year. Will I be looking for excuses to drive it somewhere when the trip is really unnecessary? You bet!

My work commute is all of 1.5 miles one-way, but with the Elio I'll be using less than 1/3 gas.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I figure somewhere around 500 gallons per year if it replaces my usual daily commute car at ~26 mpg. However, I don't anticipate driving the Elio during any time when there's heavy snow, or threats of snow. So that's 2 months of the year where it may see only occasional use.

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Figuring an average 80/20 split highway to street, my car now gets 25.5 MPG. The Elio would pull 77 MPG. working construction I never know where I will be, but again average 12000 miles a year. This would make a difference of 313 gallons of gas. Not a big number but it will have me filling up once every three weeks instead of every week. And the E won't be a 13 year old, boring designed, non sporty, economy car. Some things are better than money.

Top Bottom