• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Garage Doors

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
over the last month we've been collecting estimates to have two garage doors replaced .... I never ceased to be amazed at just how expensive it can be to have such things taken care of these days and this has been no exception .... all together we had folks from 5 different companies come by .... in cost, there is a just over $500 spread from the most expensive to the least expensive estimate .... with the decision made, I just booked the company to replace the doors one week from today (Friday, March 4th) .... our detached garage doesn't have a separate entrance door .... for that reason we had them price in a door that can be opened during a power outage .... other than that it should be a pretty straight forward job .... we don't park vehicles in ours so it pretty well filled with mowers, kids battery vehicles, boat accessories and bunches of other stuff .... one of our sons will be coming by either late Thursday or early Friday to help clean out space for them to work .... the doors have been there since the late '70's/early 80's, we'll be very happy to see them go

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've spent some time with the installer and am very comfortable working with him ... all of the companies we got quotes from said their systems are designed for 1 person installs

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I just went back and re-read this, why doesn't your garage have a separate man-door?
And if it was built that way, why not install a man-door, they are pretty easy to do, and not all that expensive.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
we bought the place back in '78 .... its our understanding that it was built in '75 .... uncertain as to why they built it without a regular door .... my best guess is it had manual, heavy, wooden doors that swung on hinges so they didn't feel it needed another door

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Still, not that hard to do, and a hell of a lot cheaper then replacing a garage door (less wear and tear)
Just a suggestion.....................

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
after several decades of use the garage doors were pretty well spent and had to be replaced .... the odds are that by the time they need to be replaced again, I won't still be around to worry about it

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And in one day I imagine? I've seen it done, and it's pretty straight forward, if the tracks are in good shape.
We had a new garage built to replace the tiny one (small) vehicle shack that was there. We did this with an overhead door on each end, and both doors were in and operable in about two and a half hours.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
We had a new garage built to replace the tiny one (small) vehicle shack that was there. We did this with an overhead door on each end, and both doors were in and operable in about two and a half hours.
But a new building is a lot easier to work on then a 45yr old building. But still they aren't that hard to do, especially if you've done them before.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But a new building is a lot easier to work on then a 45yr old building. But still they aren't that hard to do, especially if you've done them before.
The rear door was a reclaim from the old garage, Coss. And overhead doors was all these guys did, they were amazingly fast.

Top Bottom