• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Gas In A Diesel

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the truck went back into service yesterday. Given the speed (or lack there of) our mechanic gets things done, I'd say it needed very little work to be back on the road in a week. It was a 2006, so I guess it didn't have the dfp to get messed up.
Good to hear. I take it you are.still employed there and that is good too.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
diesel in a gas car = no biggie.

gas in a diesel older than 2007 = $1500-$2500 repairs
gas in a diesel newer than 2007 = $7,000-$14,500 repairs.
Not always true,most people who dump a bit of gas in there diesel truck drain tank, change oil and add a lubricant in older diesels this is less than $1500-$2500, and most people can do this their self, not saying gasoline in a diesel is good but just stating the facts of many who have accidentally made this mistake.

Last edited:

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not always true,most people who dump a bit of gas in there diesel just drain tank, change oil and add a lubricant in older diesels this is less than $1500-$2500, and most people can do this their self, not saying gasoline in a diesel is good but just stating the facts of many who have accidentally made this mistake.

Well, of course "it depends" on quantity. But you just try pumping 1 or 2 gallons of gasoline into a 2009 or newer Tdi and watch the bills skyrocket.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, of course "it depends" on quantity. But you just try pumping 1 or 2 gallons of gasoline into a 2009 or newer Tdi and watch the bills skyrocket.
I agree, I was talking about the type of vehicle,(pickup truck) Edward was driving when he started this post. (Duramax diesel) I am sure gasoline would wreck most small Diesel engines and be very costly. (But glad he wasn't in jetta and his turned out okay!)

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, while the mechanic is still an unapologetic ass, it seems that I am back in the good graces of the branch management after responding to an emergency Saturday night and working 22 out of 30hrs. As long as I keep checking before trying up a new truck, I'd say my prospects with the company as pretty good!

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good luck. Hopefully it works out.....

Not making an excuse, but when do you really focus on the gas nozzle when pumping fuel. Thinking about it now, its just a mindless task.....like locking your car. Some times the keys end up still in the car, but they usually don't.

I have a feeling you will get lucky on this one.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good luck. Hopefully it works out.....

Not making an excuse, but when do you really focus on the gas nozzle when pumping fuel. Thinking about it now, its just a mindless task.....like locking your car. Some times the keys end up still in the car, but they usually don't.

I have a feeling you will get lucky on this one.
My keys have gotten locked in the car more times than I care to admit. I keep a spare key in mywallet now. :)

Umaxen

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'd think that if you ran the gasoline in the diesel, it would do some damage, but only minimally. Diesel engines are far more durable than gas engines. Having said that, If I'd have to choose between diesel into a gas engine or gas into a diesel engine? I'd assume there would be far fewer, long term harmful effects from putting diesel into gas once the system was cleaned out, refilled and allowed to clean itself out...

checho

Elio Fan
Reaction score
There seem to be a lot of "car guys" here so figure this would be a good place to ask.
Last night at work, I wound up getting into a different truck then normal and fueled up because it was at a quarter tank. Guess what, unlike my normal truck this one was a diesel... And very poorly marked as such. I filled it with 16 gallons of regular unleaded gasoline.
It ran done for 3 hrs (half hr actual driving and rest just idling) until I shut it down. In that time, I used about a quarter tank. 45 minutes later, I tried to start it again and it wouldn't. Engine would turn but it sounded like it wasn't getting fuel. THAT is when I found out it was a diesel.
Doing a search online, most people talking about engine damage also mention it running rough and/or stalling out. That didn't happen. It ran fine until I turned it off and then just wouldn't start.
Is it likely that I destroyed the engine or is it possible that it only needs minor repairs? How much work it needs will probably determine my future with the company. As in, not much of one if I destroyed a $50,000 piece of equipment.
It's a mid-2000's GMC pickup with dual tanks.

This is what you need to do:
Empty the fuel tank and fill it up with diesel.
purge all the fuel lines until only diesel flows though the fuel lines, some vehicles like mercedes benz have a manual pump for this purpose.
replace all the fuel filters or at least remove the gasoline from them and fill them with diesel.

After taken this steps the vehicle should start.
Driving it 3 hours most likely caused some were on the engine, weather the engine needs to be repair or not, will depend on how it performs, to make sure your engine is healthy you can use the compression tester for diesel engines, around 360 psi is about the compression for a diesel engine in good shape.

When filling the tank it is best to fill it with diesel to the max, since there will always be left some gasoline on the tank, this tiny amount of gasoline will get diluted with all the diesel, and since ideally it is best that the proportion of gasoline be as small as possible, after removing all (most) gasoline fill up the tank with diesel, it is not needed to remove the tank, only the gasoline in the tank, a tiny portion of gasoline in the order of 1% left in the tank is not good, but it will not cause damage, if possible get all gasoline out of the tank..

A diesel engine with a very large proportion of gasoline will not run, the most damage occurs when it is a percentage of fuel sufficient enough to let the engine run, since the engine will run but with the lack of lubrication there will be lots of were and tear on the engine causing its destruction.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
way back when I was a teenager , I used gas and diesel about a 3 to 1 mixture in my honda 70 mini trail. Was not easy to get gas for it. We had a diesel fuel tank for the tractor sitting there ;) Smoked like crazy and had to clean the spark plug often. Drove it about 3 years that way.

Top Bottom