• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Greetings From Windy New Mexico

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, not all manual transmissions with front wheel drive are towable. In fact, most aren't. It has to do with being able to lube the tranny (manual or automatic) and front wheel drives must be trickier in that. Rear wheel drives can all be towed with manual transmission.
I did not know that.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Carlsbad, NM
Home of the Carlsbad caverns! Welcome from NE Utah! I have done lots of drilling all around your area! yes I am one of those ppl. But we gotta have gas and oil! I think if you really wanted a automatic, you could get a car dolly used just under 1k?

Paladin

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the official word directly from Elio on towability. It sounds like they don't have the problems all worked out yet. They "have several ideas on how this will work best"? Either the transmission is capable of it, or it isn't. There isn't going to be any "best" way to do it, so I don't know what they mean. I hope they don't mean an expensive option to disable the front driveshafts.

Hello!

Yes, Elio owners will be able to flat tow their vehicle although the details of how this will work our currently being finalized on our end. We have several ideas on how this will work best, and we will be prepared to share these details with our future Elio Motors customers in advance of production time next year, so please stay tuned into our website in the meanwhile! Thanks so much for your time and question.

Best,
The Elio Team

Paladin

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Home of the Carlsbad caverns! Welcome from NE Utah! I have done lots of drilling all around your area! yes I am one of those ppl. But we gotta have gas and oil! I think if you really wanted a automatic, you could get a car dolly used just under 1k?

Thanks Utah...Nope, a dolly isn't acceptable. you can't back up with a dolly on. And they are a pain in the ass. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt to show for it. Besides, adding another $1000 to the price just to tow it is way too expensive.

Top Bottom