• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hacking Into New Cars

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have thought about this being the geek I am, and always wondered when cars were going to become an attractive enough target for hackers.
Back in the 80's I remember a Service manager telling me about hold cars would be able to "drive past the dealership to get a software update" (WiFi wasn't around yet); and I was always curious how hard it would be to take control of any vehicle that had advanced electronics (GPS, ignition disablers, climate controls, etc.).
I knew a few hackers had managed to bypass door locks and alarms.
So I run across this article "Hack of a Car" (<--- link)

Almost scary when you think about it; and now GM is offering mobile Hot Spots as an option for their cars?
Hello invitation!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I read about this as well and hope that the industry is taking this seriously. Vehicle and accessory manufacturers are going to have to work much harder on security. The two areas which need the most of focus are preventing unauthorized remote access to vehicle communications systems and strictly limiting, or even removing, access to the vehicles CAN bus network.

I hope the Infinite Skyz team is paying close attention to this news, and improving their security as a result, to prevent similar issues from happening to an Elio driver.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
GM "ON STAR" can do that now... What if they got hacked by terrorists.

I think I'll stick to Elio basic...
I'm more worried about "Script Kiddies"
I don't want some bored teenager taking over my car on the freeway and send me off to a bridge abutment (if you have steer by wire (think parking assist)) they could take that over also.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, saw this on the news this morning. Two "benevolent" hackers were hacking a news reporters white Jeep while he was going down the road. Literally nothing on the vehicle that they couldn't jack with. Even "failed" the brakes in a parking lot and the Jeep rolled into a ditch and the driver couldn't do sh*t about it.:eek: Scary stuff. I'm sticking to "the basics" on my Elio.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The car companies seemed to conveniently forget about building in adaptable security keys; now that this has been in the news how long before the trolls start trying it on their own? A few car companies (Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep) have said they have the fix and you can either do it yourself by contacting the dealer and ask them to send you a USB flash drive, or you can take it to the service department and they'll do it for you.
Gee, a service bulletin/notification and no recall? How nice of them.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
with the Skyz system being an add-on option, how many of an Elio's critical control systems would it interface with ....

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I SAW A '65 MUSTANG WITH A BUMPER STICKER THAT READ
"THIS VEHICLE OPERATES WITHOUT THE AID OF A COMPUTER"
with the Skyz system being an add-on option, how many of an Elio's critical control systems would it interface with ....

I STILL DON'T LIKE THE ELGIN DASH EVEN IF IT IS UNHACKABLE .

Top Bottom