• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hello Everyone!

Vailen

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I know this one,

It has to do with economy of scale, and the $6800.00 price. Yes they could start small, but not sell for $6800.00

Thank you for your reply. That makes sense. In order for Elio to succeed, they have to adopt an all-or-nothing strategy to keep the cost of each car down to something that will attract a lot of attention. A $6800 commuter car definitely has my attention.

I found one complaint online stating that the car does not carry a spare tire. Well, I could easily remedy that....put the tire in the trunk! Since I will use this car 99% of the time by myself, I have plenty of room. Changing a tire of this car should be very easy.

Vailen

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this car handles bumps and small potholes? The highways where I live a riddled with them. I have not found any articles that elaborate on how much of a beating the Elio can take.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I found one complaint online stating that the car does not carry a spare tire. Well, I could easily remedy that....put the tire in the trunk! Since I will use this car 99% of the time by myself, I have plenty of room. Changing a tire of this car should be very easy.

even with the change in roof line for the production models, I don't know if one can physically fit a tire in the trunk .... they have stated they do plan to include a can of fix-a-flat ... :)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. That makes sense. In order for Elio to succeed, they have to adopt an all-or-nothing strategy to keep the cost of each car down to something that will attract a lot of attention. A $6800 commuter car definitely has my attention.

- a peanut spare won't fit, as a matter of fact a large pizza box doesn't sit flat (we had folks that reported in). There are many (and expensive) cars today that do not have spares, neither did any of my motorcycles. Right now for example I own a MR2 Spyder WITH a spare, and my BMW (car) doesn't- go figure.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What i do not understand is why they can't start smaller, such as one dealership in one city and produce the cars in low quantity in that area? Why try to do massive production and create a national network of dealerships in one shot?

I know this one,

It has to do with economy of scale, and the $6800.00 price. Yes they could start small, but not sell for $6800.00
I don't think they could start small... take something small... the headlights. A company would gladly make the molds and dedicate a line or portion of a line to make 500,000 a year (two per car. :cool:) but that same company probably wouldn't entertain the thought of gearing up to make 1,000. Sure, you could get them made like Elio did for the prototypes but those are really expensive. Since they have the factory and the machinery, it won't cost a ton to make more versus fewer. If they gear up to make just one, it will only take 54 more seconds to make 2 and then 54 seconds to make 3 and then another 54 seconds to make 4.... and so on.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this car handles bumps and small potholes? The highways where I live a riddled with them. I have not found any articles that elaborate on how much of a beating the Elio can take.

Jerome is the fellow driving it in most of the promotional videos ... I asked him about that when I had a chance to speak with him when the tour came to Charlotte last December .... he said it does OK .... an additional point has been discussed about straddling pot holes with the front tires while being able to also miss it with the rear tire

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The few videos w/ interior cameras, on even pavement, show (of course- consider the weight) a "feel" of the road- it's of course all subjective. For sure when ya get to drive one, problem solved. They haven't put one all together yet to make any determination. I hope the front suspension (very cool) will work as well as it looks.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

boppo

Elio Fan
Reaction score

I have a kit that I bought when I had Goldwings to fix flats. It comes with a gun to put in the rubber plug in the tire and a 12 volt compressor. I never used it but it should work on the Elio.

Top Bottom