• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hello... From Across The Atlantic!

Why do you crave for a (Elio) three-wheeler?

• It's new, it's different. Elio deserves support.

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • Frugal means of transportation

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Fun vehicle

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Low purchasing price. Count me out when the price doubles.

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Main vehicle for going from A to B

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • I will keep the car I already own

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Reduce carbon footprint

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This point has been explained (add nauseum)...The ''engine" that came the closest to what EM required was the 25 year old Geo Metro engine. The problem: The Molds?... no longer exist. The dies?...no longer exist. EM's options?...Pay for engineers to "copy" 25 year old technology, or Pay for engineers to design an engine that took the "best aspects" of the Metro engine, and make a better engine. :cool: Think "long term". This was the best choice for EM and the best choice for us.

Isn't this what EM has done? :D
Another reason to produce new engine rather than copy the Metro is litigation for patent infringement. Even a "dead" company will have sold or delivered the intellectual property rights to others.

With a new engine, that is less of a problem. (Some will sue anyway.)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Another reason to produce new engine rather than copy the Metro is litigation for patent infringement. Even a "dead" company will have sold or delivered the intellectual property rights to others.

With a new engine, that is less of a problem. (Some will sue anyway.)
GM is a dead company?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Voyager, I agree. However, one of my favorite narrow cabin tilter commuters had four wheels as The Smera darts around in this video:

Sweet! My question, given my part of the country, is how well such a configuration does in rain and snow? Also, what's the clearance on that puppy?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I honestly didn't realize GM had any connection with the Metro or Geo, but that makes avoiding patent infringement even more of an issue than with a dead company. They have the deep pockets to pursue litigation.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem is the Suzuki Swift and Geo Metro were basically the same car.
I think Suzuki had the rights to the engine.
Of course, I could be wrong.
Japan Suzuki is still in business and still building cars.
American Suzuki stopped bringing in cars and trucks to the US in 2012; then filed for bankruptcy; chapter 11
They are still here, but only for the bikes

Therefore, they aren't a dead company.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Japan Suzuki is still in business and still building cars.
American Suzuki stopped bringing in cars and trucks to the US in 2012; then filed for bankruptcy; chapter 11
They are still here, but only for the bikes

Therefore, they aren't a dead company.
OK! They aren't a dead company. But even if they were, the intellectual patent rights would survive in most cases. A few would enter public domain.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK! They aren't a dead company. But even if they were, the intellectual patent rights would survive in most cases. A few would enter public domain.
They may not be a dead company; still, my mental image is still overwhelmingly of walking through the streets of Detroit late at night, and suddenly seeing a hand thrusting through the freshly-turned dirt, followed by the head and torso of a golem, complete with the logo of Suzuki emblazoned on its forehead.

Top Bottom