• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hello From The St. Louis Area

Tim Broihier

Reaction score
I am some what of a car enthusiast, but in heart more than in the garage. I have always appreciated economy vehicles. I used to own an '82 Toyota Starlet that consistently got 52 mpg, and an '87 Toyota Camry that got 42 mpg on the hwy. As of late, I have been frustrated with the auto industry and their efforts to produce more efficient mid sized and large vehicles, but little seems to be done to REGAIN the fuel mileage of small vehicles. 40 mpg doesn't impress me. Even the Smart Car and Scion IQ seem ignorant to me, when their mpg's are not much better than my Toyota Corolla (39mpg hwy). (You can probably tell that I like Toyota's.) I have always said that if someone would sell a car that got over 50 miles per gallon and wasn't expensive, I would buy it. Elio is going to do it and I am "all in" and anxiously waiting. Can anyone relate?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone relate?
LOL, yep, pretty much everyone here.
When I pass classic cars I used to think of as humongous, they are very low and overall much smaller than I remember. Even my Prius is huge compared to a 80's Civic, Sentra or Metro.
I think the SUV has taken a toll on the standard automobile. It moved dimensions skyward. There is a general desire to get your head up above the traffic so you don't feel like you are 'down in the tunnel'. But it's very much a competition for height that never stops. It's gotta stop somewhere.
Look at the smartcar. It's very very tall to help overcome people's fear about size and personal space. If you'd chop it down and smooth it out, you might just double it's MPGs.
As a three wheeler, Elio must keep a low center of gravity. I like that. This limits the 'space-race'. But Elio fights back against the 'tunnel' by giving us the diamond lane, where there's more room, at least for now. And being so narrow it allows a bit easier maneuvering to escape tunnels.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am some what of a car enthusiast, but in heart more than in the garage. I have always appreciated economy vehicles. I used to own an '82 Toyota Starlet that consistently got 52 mpg, and an '87 Toyota Camry that got 42 mpg on the hwy. As of late, I have been frustrated with the auto industry and their efforts to produce more efficient mid sized and large vehicles, but little seems to be done to REGAIN the fuel mileage of small vehicles. 40 mpg doesn't impress me. Even the Smart Car and Scion IQ seem ignorant to me, when their mpg's are not much better than my Toyota Corolla (39mpg hwy). (You can probably tell that I like Toyota's.) I have always said that if someone would sell a car that got over 50 miles per gallon and wasn't expensive, I would buy it. Elio is going to do it and I am "all in" and anxiously waiting. Can anyone relate?
Tim, welcome to the forum where you will find the latest information and opinions on the development and production of this unique vehicle. Forum members are friendly and helpful so don't be hesitant to ask a question. We are excited about this vehicle and are as anxious as you for it to begin production. Hope you will use the forum to become informed on the Elio development and progress. Welcome to the journey and I hope you find it informative, entertaining and rewarding.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can probably tell that I like Toyota's.
Speaking of Toyota's. Do you remember the little square-box 1970 Corona? I made mine into a Chevota in 1976. Added a mid-engine V8 in the back seat area with a Corvair transaxle and matching full sub-frame. Tri-Y headers, Economy-Torque manifold and Carter Quad Carbs. The 'kegger' gas tank replaced the original engine.
What a 'sleeper'! First gear was a useless feature, seriously. Top speed unknown. I was younger then, what can I say? :-)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Tim. Like you, I can't wait to get my Elio. Well, I can because that allows me to save more money for a larger down payment. LOL Anyway, I hope you enjoy this exciting journey to Elio production and ownership. We are all in this together and look forward to driving our 2015 Elios next year. :-) Z

CaptainMorgan

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Welcome Tim! I'm also from the St. Louis area (on the IL side) and can certainly relate to your comments. I still haven't seen an Elio in person, but I went "All In" for $100 and am very anxious to see one. Also pleased to know that there is a store proposed for our area.

CaptainMorgan

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Welcome Tim! I'm also from the St. Louis area (on the IL side) and can certainly relate to your comments. I still haven't seen an Elio in person, but I went "All In" for $100 and am very anxious to see one. Also pleased to know that there is a store proposed for our area.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Howdy Tim! I'm Kevin, living out in Pacific, MO. I went "All-in" for 1K, and can't wait to get my hands on an Elio. We'll definitely have to get some Elio owners in this area together and do a little cruise down by Elephant Rock/Lesterville. I belong to a Porsche 914 club, and we had a little get together down there, the 'loop' is a fantastic drive!

PS - I bought a '74 Porsche 914 from a guy in Chicago. Drove it back to St. Louis (all highway) and was averaging 51 mpg with a 2.0L aircooled engine.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Welcome Tim, from Kansas. Yes, as others have said, most of us are right there with you.

Story time: I was still in high school, my family bought a new Datsun (now Nissan) 210 Station Wagon. If I remember right, it was supposed to get 42 mpg+ on the highway. Unfortunately, with the A/C going, it lost too much power going up a hill at highway speed, and you'd have to drop a gear from 5th to 4th. :-)

But to your point, one of my priorities is just spending less money on gas. I'm fed up with big oil companies being the most profitable companies on the planet. I'm looking forward to that.

Top Bottom