• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hello From Wisconsin

JSaindon

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been bitten by the Elio bug! Very interested. Do any future Wisconsin owners know whether you'll need a Wisc Class M motorcycle license to drive one? Will it need to be registered as a motorcycle? I ask because a lot of the youtube videos point out that the Elio is technically a motorcycle.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
JSaindon, welcome to family! I hope you find the crowd here on the forum friendly and informative. If you have any questions regarding the forum please let us know.

According to this post on Elio's Facebook page from a few months ago Wisconsin does currently require a class M endorsement but Elio is aware of it and is working with the state for an exemption:

https://www.facebook.com/ElioMotors/posts/599645653433644

Elio has a team dedicated almost entirely to getting every state to allow the Elio to be driven without a motorcycle endorsement or a helmet in states with helmet laws. The last numbers I heard was that they only had 5 states left requiring a helmet and 14 more that also required a motorcycle endorsement. Hopefully they will be able to work it out so everyone will be able to drive their Elio's across the country without having to worry about what license they have or if they need to wear a helmet in certain states.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome fellow sconny member. I've asked both my assemblyman and senator about changing the law so we don't have to get a class M license but have it still classified as a motorcycle for insurance purposes.

drbob

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I am from Wisconsin also and I already have a motorcycle endorsement so I have no concerns. A motorcycle permit is not all that hard to get and a little training would not be a bad thing. Due to the profile of the Elio you need to be aware that you will not be seen as well as a standard automobile and will need to drive with caution to avoid some accidents the same as motorcycle riders.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been bitten by the Elio bug! Very interested. Do any future Wisconsin owners know whether you'll need a Wisc Class M motorcycle license to drive one? Will it need to be registered as a motorcycle? I ask because a lot of the youtube videos point out that the Elio is technically a motorcycle.

Welcome to the Elio family of enthusiasts.

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome all. The Midwest is getting good representation here! We'll have to set up a tri-state event: MN, IA, WI... and whomever else. A river run would be fun!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I am from Wisconsin also and I already have a motorcycle endorsement so I have no concerns. A motorcycle permit is not all that hard to get and a little training would not be a bad thing. Due to the profile of the Elio you need to be aware that you will not be seen as well as a standard automobile and will need to drive with caution to avoid some accidents the same as motorcycle riders.

Welcome to the Elio family drbob! We are glad you could join us. You will find many of us also have motorcycle endorsements and I would agree with you that the extra training is very good for increasing your awareness of what is going on around you while on the road.

drbob

Elio Fan
Reaction score
the Wisconsin motorcycle permit is merely a written test and is good for 6 months and can be renewed twice before you need a practical test. Jees Louise!

Top Bottom