• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Here's An Idea

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is Not a criticism simply a question since it has now been mentioned twice by separate individuals. Since when does ones pay rate define their individual skill level, attitude, or commitment to quality service? I have met Many (mostly union) service and manufacturing people that while making an Insane amount of money could barely tie their own shoes. Does the proposed theory mean that all teachers, police officers, nurses, etc don't have adequate skills or commitment to a professional job well done? Last I checked most of these professions are also Very underpaid for the services they provide. In my opinion I have seen Many more competent and loyal employees that are just happy to provide a service than I have higher paid watchers. Just because you can figure out the system or get a paper that says you can does not make you a professional. Again, Just a question............
Sounds critical. You make your own assumption. I didn't say pay rate defined an individuals skill level, attitude, or commitment. Only mentioned their job title and pay scale........there are various skill levels, attitudes, and committment in all jobs and levels of expertise in all professions. Matter of fact, my experience as an instructor at a technical school saw many students that were so talented and committed to their jobs and profession they chose to continue their education and training while working in their current jobs so they may qualify for promotions, job changes, and salary increases within their chosen fields. It doesn't get any better than that. Quite frankly being happy in any job within a chosen field is fine with me.

Just don't assign an employee that has the highest skill to service my vehicle to repair my vehicle without the necessary training invovled.........and then I would like the best mechanic on staff to do that repair........highest skill level based on education, factory training, work history, or any combination of experiences. Attitude and committment is of higher importance to the employer...........unless I'm a customer in the service bay having direct interaction with the mechanic. If he or she is a good mehanic with a good attitude they will have good people skills.

Last edited:

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope, if Wally World got the service contract, they would become Elio Dealers.......
Rollback price: $6782.97!

This is Not a criticism simply a question since it has now been mentioned twice by separate individuals. Since when does ones pay rate define their individual skill level, attitude, or commitment to quality service? I have met Many (mostly union) service and manufacturing people that while making an Insane amount of money could barely tie their own shoes. Does the proposed theory mean that all teachers, police officers, nurses, etc don't have adequate skills or commitment to a professional job well done? Last I checked most of these professions are also Very underpaid for the services they provide. In my opinion I have seen Many more competent and loyal employees that are just happy to provide a service than I have higher paid watchers. Just because you can figure out the system or get a paper that says you can does not make you a professional. Again, Just a question............
I agree that a certification doesn't mean that you know more than someone without it. That said, I tend to distrust anyone who has the skills, works in the industry, and doesn't try to advance themselves. I hear all the time from the people under me "I could do what you do but I don't want the responsibility." The responsibility is the largest portion of the job, so then, no you can't do what I do!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with that one. It's possible to be good at one's job and have a good attitude about it but still be horrible at people skills. One good example of that would be me. :)
Edward......very funny! It's important that you recognize your people skills weakness........take a class and apply what you learn. LOL

Part of our Tech curriculum was devoted to people skills along with business fundamentals because many students were planning on starting their own businesses. You can be the best at what you do..........but suck at people skills and sound business practices and fail. Most grads just wanted the neccessay skills to do the job, be a good employee, and stay the heck away from people and let the business owner worry about the business, employees, and customers. Most of my grads made a good living doing just that.........some ended up in sales and or owning successful businesses because they liked people.

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the majority of the PB pit crew is working general maintenance......tires, batteries, oil changes and general wage earner skills may apply...............not the skills of a trained auto mechanic. I'm also guessing PB has a couple certified mechanics to do any major auto repair work that are higher up on the pay scale. I'm hoping a $60 + per hour mechanic is not changing oil or swapping batteries and tires.
Nope, but they're gonna bill as if that were the case!

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Edward......very funny! It's important that you recognize your people skills weakness........take a class and apply what you learn. LOL

Part of our Tech curriculum was devoted to people skills along with business fundamentals because many students were planning on starting their own businesses. You can be the best at what you do..........but suck at people skills and sound business practices and fail. Most grads just wanted the neccessay skills to do the job, be a good employee, and stay the heck away from people and let the business owner worry about the business, employees, and customers. Most of my grads made a good living doing just that.........some ended up in sales and or owning successful businesses because they liked people.
As an introvert with social anxiety disorder dealing with people I don't know that well face to face is just a losing battle for me. I've tried therapy, oh hours and hours of therapy! I've probably logged a month's worth of hours in therapy.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As an introvert with social anxiety disorder dealing with people I don't know that well face to face is just a losing battle for me. I've tried therapy, oh hours and hours of therapy! I've probably logged a month's worth of hours in therapy.
I understand that it takes a special mentality to deal with people face to face and is even more difficult dealing with demanding or unhappy customers. Best left to sales and customer service reps. As a self proclaimed introvert it is very admirable that you have and or trying therapy to make some adjustment. However, it sounds like you are very successful in the work you do.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes indeed,I see, hum but the problem was talking to your therapist on the phone, it works much better face-to-face, I hope you only paid at a Pep boy rate.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand that it takes a special mentality to deal with people face to face and is even more difficult dealing with demanding or unhappy customers. Best left to sales and customer service reps. As a self proclaimed introvert it is very admirable that you have and or trying therapy to make some adjustment. However, it sounds like you are very successful in the work you do.
I used to be an introvert who rarely spoke, then somehow I became a customer service representative on the phone 8 hours a day.

Top Bottom